AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Pioneer VSX-1016TXVK THX rated reciever. I also have a 7.1 speaker sytem which really sucks. I have these Carver speakers for the front (2 front and center), which looked good on paper and were cheap off ebay, but they suck. Then I have Onkyo bookshelf speakers for the 4 back speaker and the 10" Onkyo Sub. The system does sound too terrible...but I want it to sound GREAT!!! So, I want to sell all of the above and buy the best speakers I can for around $1000...give or take. I'd like to buy them online to save too but would love to hear you guys' opinion first, as after reading around here it seems like this is the best source for some good AV opinions!!! Anyway PLEASE help me out!!! What speakers should I buy?? Just a note..I really want floor standing speakers for the front.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am a 'stubborn' shopper. Most stores hate me as a customer. I have taken several items home as a special trial offer and taken them back. I have to say that the best speakers I have heard for movie use are well below that price range. I use the acoustech line of speakers. I have the HT-75's and HT-65 center paired with an SVS PB10 sub in a medium sized room. Again, I have listened to many speakers and I really liked the sound of the acoustechs. The horns have the ability to really zone in on the highs. Like for instance in the superman returns movie. You can hear his cape slowly move, with clarity, while he is in space. My buddies system which costs much much more than mine cannot reproduce the effect no matter how many decidbels he raises the volume. There is something about horn speakers that you wont find in standard domes. Ask around and if a dealer is in your area, try out the acoustech line of speakers. I promise you wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I went through a similar search myself earlier this year and ended up with the x-series.

I have been completely blown away by the performance of these babies.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahareciever /forum/post/0

Bose Acoustimass 10 is probably one of the best for around $1000.

did you really just write that down, i mean omg, comon, seriously????

you could try some kef 2005's, in know they retail for 1k, so you could get them for less.

how about some boston acoustics cr linup with a svs/hsu/velodyne sub. anyhting is better than bose

·
Registered
142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUClD /forum/post/0

Again, I have listened to many speakers and I really liked the sound of the acoustechs. The horns have the ability to really zone in on the highs. Like for instance in the superman returns movie. You can hear his cape slowly move, with clarity, while he is in space.

I don't think I'd be interested in speakers that can break the laws of physics.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUClD /forum/post/0

I am a 'stubborn' shopper. Most stores hate me as a customer. I have taken several items home as a special trial offer and taken them back. I have to say that the best speakers I have heard for movie use are well below that price range. I use the acoustech line of speakers. I have the HT-75's and HT-65 center paired with an SVS PB10 sub in a medium sized room. Again, I have listened to many speakers and I really liked the sound of the acoustechs. The horns have the ability to really zone in on the highs. Like for instance in the superman returns movie. You can hear his cape slowly move, with clarity, while he is in space. My buddies system which costs much much more than mine cannot reproduce the effect no matter how many decidbels he raises the volume. There is something about horn speakers that you wont find in standard domes. Ask around and if a dealer is in your area, try out the acoustech line of speakers. I promise you wont be disappointed.

What recevier were you using?

·
Premium Member
10,401 Posts
I would go cheap with the surrounds if you want to spend around $1000 for a 5.1 speaker system with floor standers. Infinity Beta speakers are some of the least expensive quality floor standing speakers I have heard. The model C250 and 40 should fit the bill up front. For the surrounds I would look at the HSU speakers. They are very good and low cost. I would look at Aperion Or Axiom if you are willing to spend more on the surrounds. I would look at the HSU STF-1 subwoofer if you want to spend the minimum or the bottom level SVS subwoofer if you are willing to spend more. If you want to drop the floor standing requirement I would look at HSU or Ascend for the front three in a very low cost system.

Good luck.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies!! I have used them and some more research to choose between the following options. PLEASE, if you have compared any of the two listed, let me know which is better. I have excluded subs for now...I will do that later.

Options:

1. Acoustech

Center: HT-65 $140

Towers: HT-75 $325

Surrounds: HT-63,HT-64 $179,$229

TOTAL: $873

2. JBL Venue

Center: Voice $100

Towers: Stadium $450

Surrounds: Monitors $115

TOTAL: $780

3. x-series

Center: x-cs $139

Towers: x-mtm $449

Surrounds: x-ls $220

TOTAL: $1028 + ???SHIPPING???

4. Infinity

Center: C360 $220

Towers: Beta 50 $530

Surrounds: Beta 10 $220

TOTAL: $1190

5. Polk

Center: CS2 $200

Towers: Monitor 50 $285

Surrounds: Monitor 30 $200

TOTAL: $885

All of these are the best prices I could find brand new and include shipping except for the x-series. I will post what they say for shipping when they reply back with a quote.

Also, the total price includes to pairs of the surrounds, since I have a 7.1 set up.

Look forward to hearing your comments again!! THANKS!!!

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
dane_peterson is selling a 5ch Ascend Acousitcs system over in the FS Marketplace for $800. I've spent many hours listening to jonnyozero3's Ascends for both 2.0 & 5.1 music, as well as for HT, and I am very impressed with their sound. They have a nice, flat frequency response, the imaging is very impressive, and you can drive them to very respectable volumes. For full price from Ascend they're a steal, but at $800 it's highway robbery. You could purchase two more CBM-170's for a full 7.1 system and remain around $1100 for the whole setup.

No, I don't know Dane, but I love Ascend's stuff and it fits your budget so I figured I'd give him a free plug here since no one else has mentioned them.

·
Registered
876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahareciever /forum/post/0

Bose Acoustimass 10 is probably one of the best for around $1000.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD CAN WE BAN THIS GUY FROM THESE FORUMS. LOOK AT HIS POST HISTORY!!!

BOSE.....

BOSE......

BOSE..........

HE HAS NEVER MADE ANY OTHER CONTRIBUTION OTHER THAN TO PLUG BOSE.

·
Banned
181 Posts
I can't tell you an honest opinion to decide on these choices other than to tell you to demo some of it yourself in your home and see if you can get a feel for preference. The JBL's and infinity's are probably available locally most places and then you can demo the X-LS bookshelf risk free before you order the whole package. By the way, you can find the JBL's a little cheaper at bhphoto.com and jr.com.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks... after trying to research which of these is best, I now have more question..which figures. I started thinking, that the JBLs are the cheapest option and they have dual 8" woofers. But I noticed they only have 4" mid and 1" tweeter. I was thinking this: All I use this for is Movies. And I saw that I should set my option to "small" speakers on all of the ones listed above. So I guess my question is this: Do I really need tower speakers for movies? The reason I asj is right now..all I hear is some mids and highs coming out of my speakers. Will having tower speakers with 8" woofers really make my a difference...or should I be more concerned on the mid range woofer?? got go to work..more to come..thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
282 Posts
One set that I have heard are fantastic are the Defintive Technology 1000 series. They are a little more than what you are looking to spend ~$1600... but they have the 800 series for a little less. Everything I have heard about these speakers was good.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrjw /forum/post/0

Thanks... after trying to research which of these is best, I now have more question..which figures. I started thinking, that the JBLs are the cheapest option and they have dual 8" woofers. But I noticed they only have 4" mid and 1" tweeter. I was thinking this: All I use this for is Movies. And I saw that I should set my option to "small" speakers on all of the ones listed above. So I guess my question is this: Do I really need tower speakers for movies? The reason I asj is right now..all I hear is some mids and highs coming out of my speakers. Will having tower speakers with 8" woofers really make my a difference...or should I be more concerned on the mid range woofer?? got go to work..more to come..thanks in advance!!!

I would say with your budget don't bother with towers unless you are against having a Sub with I don't think you are. Towers are great for 2.0 music and even for HT but not needed as much for HT only, a good sub is way more important as it will put out up to 100 hz anyway and fill in lots of bass, it won't fill a hole that using satellite speakers would leave but having good bookshelves all around and a good sub will be excellent for movies and save you a bit of dough.

BTW - I demoed the Stage and Stadium JBL towers, pretty good for the price and they were 3-way which is hard to find at this price point but the tweeters broke down a bit a higher volumes, would still be fine for HT but probably not needed as mentioned.

Good luck and please post your results!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Take a look at Orb Audio. www.orbaudio.com I have their People's Choice 7.1 setup with my Yamaha RX-V2700 receiver and have been very impressed. These speakers put out incredibly rich and full sound for their size. Google "orb audio" and read some of the reviews on them. They are an internet-direct retailer so their prices are pretty good for a complete setup. Also, their Super 8 subwoofer included in their speaker packages puts out great bass for such a small package.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is where I am at now:

I went to Best Buy and listened to the Klipsch Model: RF-62BLA (tower w/ dual 6.5")

and the RB-61BLA (bookshelf w/ one 6.5"). Night and day...answers my question above...Floor standing ALL THE WAY>>>NO DOUBT ABOUT IT.

So now all of my narrowing down has to change yet again.

I also went to circuitchity. The yhave the Boston Acoustic VR2's on sale for 249 each and they sounded pretty good...however the center to match is $400 and sucks!!!

wasnt to impressed with klipsch center either

This will sound wierd but..I went to Alterman Audio..local store here. They had Klipsch RF-5s..also sounded great...but the Boston Acoustic 5.1 set of micro peakers and a tiny little center sounded pretty darn good!!!

Anyway, I am really looking like I want to go with the x-series x-mtm towers and the x-cs for the center..then either use 4 of the x-ls 's or go with something different like the hsu's or bostons.

BUT I would like to hear them and they are only sold on the internet. I keep hearing good things from yall. Are they really that good?? I mean...for the price of me going with them..is there anything better? or are these really "blowing yall away"??

Well now I at least know that I want towers again. And i'm starting to look again for good towers that have good priced center..that gets good reviews and produces good mids/lows.

Will uodate as I go.

Oh..and Im actually thinking about buying the x-ls pair and then comparing them to all kind of towers and bookshelkfs from local stores to compare..and if they dont, I will use them for my bedroom..since all I use is the TV speakers in there..and I have a xtra reciever.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts