AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 25% off amazon coupon and i have a budget of about 650-750 before coupon. What is the best HTIB i can buy? I really wanted to s7100 from onkyo but it doesnt make sense for me to get it when my room is only 20ft by 10ft. And also amazon increased its price arg!!!

Or should i use the money and build my own system?

My current setup - sharp aquos 46" lcd, PS3, and hd cable box. Dont need bluray or dvd player.

I appreciate any help!

Thanks

·
Registered
688 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahoots /forum/post/15476014

is this better than the sony HT7200DH? if so in what features?

Thanks!

Both the Polk Speakers and Onkyo Receiver are better. I don't even think that Sony HTiB receiver can decode lossless Blu-Ray sound.

A buddy of mine had similar Sony HTiB speakers and they sounded lousy. I purchased these Polks 2 years ago (for much more than they cost now btw). Coupled with a good lossless receiver (I have the Denon 1909) and they sound excellent!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD MM /forum/post/15476091

Both the Polk Speakers and Onkyo Receiver are better. I don't even think that Sony HTiB receiver can decode lossless Blu-Ray sound.

A buddy of mine had similar Sony HTiB speakers and they sounded lousy. I purchased these Polks 2 years ago (for much more than they cost now btw). Coupled with a good lossless receiver (I have the Denon 1909) and they sound excellent!

Thanks for the quick reply....is the sr606 "future proof"? I dont want to upgrade the receiver in the next 3-4 years. thanks

·
Registered
688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahoots /forum/post/15476132

Thanks for the quick reply....is the sr606 "future proof"? I dont want to upgrade the receiver in the next 3-4 years. thanks

Technically there's no such thing as future proof, but yes, the Onkyo is known to have all the latest and greatest specs out today. You should be good for a while if you go with the Onkyo 606.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
last question...are the polk speakers you recommend better than the ones that come with the s7100? thanks

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Here's one suggestion:

Onkyo 606 - $350: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR606...1270890&sr=1-1

Energy C-50 (pair) - $70x2=$140: http://www.amazon.com/Energy-C-50-Bo...270944&sr=1-24

Energy CC-50 - $150: http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Center-...1271042&sr=1-9

Leaves you with $100 for a sub, which you can probably find something sufficient. There is a 10" Energy sub for $150 , don't know anything about it, but I would be tempted to go for something like the BIC H100 on eBay for $200ish that gets pretty good reviews in the subwoofer section.

The Energy speakers have a much better build quality and the 4 1/2 woofer can at least push more air than the dinky Onkyo or Polk speakers - but it's up to you. Energy is a good speaker company.

EDIT: I just noticed that the Energy center speaker C-C50 is only $100 from Audio Advisor on Amazon (same seller listed for the C-50) so you can save $50. Audio Advisor has some good pictures that shows the nice build quality of the C-50. These are close out prices so they are heavily discounted, I would jump on them quick.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks ickysmits but those are a little too big for my little apartment.

can anyone comment on the speaker quality of the polk vs the s7100? Thanks

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Wow...they're actually quite small, get good comments, and look A LOT better than other speakers in that price range. Energy is a speaker company while Onkyo is an electronics company that buys cheap speakers to go with their packages.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/ViewLarg...D_NG-Large.jpg

I had the Polk RM6750 and wouldn't recommend them to anyone. The subwoofer is awful and the speakers are so-so. The Onkyo speakers would probably be better, but they're not much smaller, probably taller, than the Energy speakers I recommended.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
29,190 Posts
How are Energy C-50 speakers too big for your apartment? The Onkyo speakers are 14" tall, while the Energy is only 8.75" tall.

If you need something really small, maybe look at the Energy Act6.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Energy-Speakers-...3286.m20.l1116

For me, I'd choose speakers from a speaker mfr like Energy over a consumer electronics mfr. Speakers are not Onkyo's specialty, A/V components are.

·
Registered
688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahoots /forum/post/15476376

last question...are the polk speakers you recommend better than the ones that come with the s7100? thanks

Yes. Like I said earlier. My buddy had Sony HTiB speakers similar to the s7100 ones. The Polks aren't even in the same ballpark.

Polk is a speaker company. They specialize in making quality speakers. Sony makes a bit of everything, so I wouldn't imagine they put as much effort into their speakers. (Just my simple way of thinking).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/15477597

How are Energy C-50 speakers too big for your apartment? The Onkyo speakers are 14" tall, while the Energy is only 8.75" tall.

If you need something really small, maybe look at the Energy Act6.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Energy-Speakers-...3286.m20.l1116

For me, I'd choose speakers from a speaker mfr like Energy over a consumer electronics mfr. Speakers are not Onkyo's specialty, A/V components are.

those speakers are in the same price range as the polks...which one sounds better? the sub for the energy looks bigger and more powerful

·
Registered
688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahoots /forum/post/15478072

those speakers are in the same price range as the polks...which one sounds better? the sub for the energy looks bigger and more powerful

I doubt anyone has actually sampled both of these models. You'll just have to go with your gut.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts