AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there have been similar threads like this in the (far) past, but I want some advice based on current models and prices.

Basically, I just bought a new LCD HDTV and want a very budget HTIB system to go with it. I would like to keep the budget at $250 or less. Not really looking for many features besides HDMI output if the system contains a DVD player. I doubt any HTIB at this price range will come with a standalone receiver anyway. Also, at least optical audio cable input if not HDMI input. Ideally a 5.1 channel system.

That's basically all I want. I just want some ideas, advice, etc for the best I can do with my small budget. Again, not looking to rock my apartment, just something better than the speakers that came on my TV. Please give me some DECENT and WORTHWHILE options to look at as I plan to buy something within the next week or two.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Out of all of those, I like the Sony best for the receiver. The others with the integrated DVD players are probably all on par with each other.

I like that Pioneer even more, though.

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

I should add that I DO NOT plan on having a ton of sources plugged into this HTIB. It will most likely just be my PS3 so I don't think having tons of inputs will be a necessity for my case. Also, most of the DVD player integrated HTIB do have optical input which is the best I can do at this price range. Seems like all the HDMI input setup are $500+.

Anyone going to tell me definitively which one is more worth my money? I'm going to buy something by the end of next week. As for upping my budget to $300, I don't want to get started on adding another $50 to get a better one, then maybe make it $75 to get a better one, why not make it $400 for a much better one, etc. I'm not looking for this to be the be-all-end-all set up. Just something decent for my small apartment, better than the speakers on my TV, and WORTH my money.

Thanks for all advice.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Anything with a standalone-type receiver will likely sound better and can go along if you ever feel like upgrading later.

Integrated DVD units tend to work with the speakers they come with, and either don't play nice with better speakers or need some fabrication.

My vote would be the Pioneer, the Sony, or if you can stretch, the Onkyo, which would be about worth the $50 difference, but not really critical if $250 is all you can manage. Those would be worth it.

The integrated DVD ones to me are not worth it. They BARELY do DVD surround sound at any acceptable level, and merely pay lip service to expandability with their optical input.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/15448690

Anything with a standalone-type receiver will likely sound better and can go along if you ever feel like upgrading later.

Integrated DVD units tend to work with the speakers they come with, and either don't play nice with better speakers or need some fabrication.

My vote would be the Pioneer, the Sony, or if you can stretch, the Onkyo, which would be about worth the $50 difference, but not really critical if $250 is all you can manage. Those would be worth it.

The integrated DVD ones to me are not worth it. They BARELY do DVD surround sound at any acceptable level, and merely pay lip service to expandability with their optical input.

Thanks. I actually narrowed it down to the Samsung HT-Z310 and the Sony HT-DDWG700 and was leaning towards the Sony because:

1) active subwoofer, which I've read to be better (not sure, maybe I need some edumacation here)

2) Digital Cinema Auto Calibration (Mic Included)

The best price I've found is at Circuit City and Amazon for $199.

Everything sounds A-OK?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Active subs have their own amp. Takes the load off the receiver for amplification, and lets the onboard amp power the sub's larger driver.

Most subwoofers are active. Passive subs seem to only exist in some HTIB.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just got the Onkyo HT-3100 and so far im really impressed, its just for my bedroom and I bought it over the others because I already have an XBOX and Ps3 so no need for the DVD player and its got plenty of inputs and since its a stand alone reciever the sound is better than the others that have integrated dvd players.

The the bass is very good as well the whole system once set up right sounds really good.

I would recommend it to anyone wanting something for a small room or replacing TV Speakers.

If you want anymore info on it just post up and ill answer your questions about the system.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPC101 /forum/post/15460173

This one right here looks very nice!

I actually saw this one in person at BB and it looks pretty cheap. The receiver itself is nice, plain and simple. However, the speakers look super cheap.

I was going to pick up the Sony at BB for $180 with price-matching, but they only carry that model online. Sucks. Maybe it's a sign that I should go with the Onkyo

·
Registered
36 Posts
Seriously go with the onkyo its a great system and you can pick it up on amazon for under 300 new or used. it will be a huge step up from your tv speakers and will be worth your money !

I havent found too many negative reviews on it either thats why I bought it now I just need my new plasma.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.