AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My brother and SIL asked me to reco an HTIB for their new apt. Based on some of the reviews I was reading a couple months ago (when I thought I would need to replace my own), I thought the best one under 800 would be the Onkyo HT-SP908. Is that still a good choice with a higher budget? Anything else I should be considering?

Another thing: wireless rear speakers? I know they don't want a lot of cables/wires running around. Is the Rocketfish kit a good solution for the rear speakers? Or are their good systems which include wireless rear speakers?

TIA

·
Registered
525 Posts
If possible I suggest you check out the HTiB alternatives thread , I realize HTiB is a good option for unsavvy listeners but the value is better with a pieced-together system.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I have to agree with malovich. There's nothing wrong with an HTiB, but if you've got up to 2K to work with I would start by looking at a really good receiver, and then adding speakers. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman325 /forum/post/14327433

I have to agree with malovich. There's nothing wrong with an HTiB, but if you've got up to 2K to work with I would start by looking at a really good receiver, and then adding speakers. Good luck.

I almost agree, but he should get his speakers first then an appropriate receiver. (Think about it. If he gets 8 Ohm speakers he doesn't need as much power from his AVR However, if he gets 4 Ohm...)

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
You may very well be right. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to speakers and receivers having different Ohm ratings. One of the reasons I myself went with a HTiB (Onkyo 908). As far as that goes, don't the receiver and speakers need to have the same rating though (4 Ohms, 8 Ohms, etc...)? I hate to hijack the thread for this, but since it's been brought up, I would like to know for sure. Thanks.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ok I'll put my two cents in on both topics. First the impedence is 8ohms nominal which means it will fluctuate during use. If the speakers are rated 8ohm and the receiver is 100watts @ 8 ohms then great! If the speakers are 4 ohms and the receiver is 100watts @ 8ohms then the receiver will be forced to work twice as hard. The plus is you wil get almost twice the wattage, but the bad news is you will get more then twice the distortion to the speakers. Also, just as if your car engine is comfortable at 4k RPMs if you run it at 8k RPMs all the time it will run the risk of overheating and surly live a shorter life.

Now, an HTiB for under $2000. I know everyone will beat me up for this but the Bose LSV20Black system is a perfect HTiB and here is why. First it's simple. Not everyone what to build a system from the ground up. Second it is very future proof with all the connectivity it has. Three it sounds good for most people out there that don't just want to bash Bose. Four, the wife factor, it's very unobtrusive. Five, say what you will about Bose they truly stand behind their products. If you ever encounter a problem they don't try to dance around helping you, they just help solve your issue.

Let the beatdown begin.......

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Thanks for the explanation Bellamy.

·
Registered
525 Posts
An alternative to Bose cubes are the Orb Audio speakers, small and arguably more stylish than Bose, but then again you don't get the bragging rights of an overpriced proprietary system.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Under 2K?? Its best to build a system yourself... that is just too much money to use on a HTIB.... sorry i know some of you disagree, but 2K is a LOT of money IMO... .unless you are making tons per year... haha

·
Registered
37 Posts
another that will agree...I just built my own for around $1k and got all separate components. The HTIB Alternatives thread at the top is something I read through (the first post anyway lol) quite a bit and took a lot of advice from it.

I'm also one that absolutely refuses to have anything to do with Bose. I've never heard a Bose system that can come anywhere close to a DIY system (a much lower priced one at that)

Definitely build it all with separate components for $2k...!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yet another agree. Unless your budget is sub $1000 no need for HTiB unless you just don't like leg work at all. you can build a system for under $2000 no problem.

If I had to throw an example together in a quick reply with no basis for use or room:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/performance2.html ($549)

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i ($379)

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3 ($399)

Cables and a surge protector should run you under $100

Still under $1400

You could add a separate CD player or Upconverting DVD player ($130 to keep from over using the PS3 is worth it imo) and still be well under $2000.

You could probably even step up to HSU H-1 and still stay under $2000:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/enthusiast1.html

That took about 3 minutes to throw together and there are dozens if not hundreds of other options all under $2000.

·
Registered
525 Posts
as yet I have another setup but they are not by any means small.

5x AV123 x-cs speakers - $445 **********

1x or 2x for extra fun AV123 x-sub - $219 **********

Onkyo TX-SR506 - $199 refurb shoponkyo.com

interconnects/speaker wires/bannana plugs at monoprice.com - around $100

+shipping for these items will yield an awesome setup

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think you guys are really missing the point of this tread. Some people just want a simple system that all matches, is small, and is easy to use. I know I agree with you, eith 2k I could build a heluva system with component and a harmony remote to make things simple but that is not what everyone wants. They want a one decision no fuss no muss option.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
The best HTIB for under 2k is no HTIB at all. As for wireless surrounds, the rocketfish gets the job done but it uses it's own amplifier which is quite inadequate when listening to surround tracks at moderate levels-clips like a ba%^$#rd and very poor low end extension due to the wireless freq used and it's ability to transmit low(read long) freq waves as does most wireless technology. Get some flat wire along the walls or if you have carpet, snake it under that. PLEAAASE don't spend 2k on an HTIB!

·
Registered
37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamy /forum/post/14395934

I think you guys are really missing the point of this tread. Some people just want a simple system that all matches, is small, and is easy to use. I know I agree with you, eith 2k I could build a heluva system with component and a harmony remote to make things simple but that is not what everyone wants. They want a one decision no fuss no muss option.

I don't think we are missing the point of this thread at all. The OP asked if 2k could buy him a great HTIB, and we are pointing out that if he has 2k to spend, there's zero reason to go HTIB.

If the OP had said he only had $500, or even $800 to spend, HTIB is a real option, as you can't really build much for $500 that has all 5 + 1 speakers + receiver (and possibly + DVD player).

But for $2000, you should at least be given the chance to hear that a DIY setup is at least a very viable option.

If the OP says no, no DIY, only HTIB, then we'd be missing the point of the thread. Since that hasn't happened, we are giving our opinions on which direction he should go to get the most for his money.

·
Registered
90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamy /forum/post/14395934

They want a one decision no fuss no muss option.

I allowed for that very possibility in the very beginning of my post.

Some people want to jump off cliffs, I am not going to stop them. I might however mention the up side of going and having a beer instead. That doesn't mean I won't let them jump.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
I don't know how much that Bose set-up is(but I know it is too much), but chino's reccomendation would blow it away in all aspects, even malovich's reccomendation will make the bose set-up sound weak and aweful in comparison.

But if you need all in one I would look at an onkyo set-up before a bose one.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Honestly HTiB exists in a fairly narrow range of sonic quality near the low end of the spectrum. Low-cost HTiB exists for people who cannot afford to pay more. High-cost HTiB exists for those who can pay more but due to aesthetic/WAF issues, must stay with very small speakers. With HTiB, the sonic payoff for the higher priced stuff versus the lower is there, but not that large.

Unless the OP wants more bang for the buck by going with bookshelf/stand mounts, I recommend Orb. It is at or near the top of the heap for these kinds of speakers sonicly (though isn't a bargain versus cheap HTiB when looking at sonics only), and I personally prefer the aesthetics of them to Bose. The build quality is also superior to Bose and to the cheaper HTiB speakers. But with the Orbs, do not buy them if you are not enamored of their looks. They sound better than cheap HTiB, but not 3x better, or even 1.5x better.

- Dave

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
I used to make recomendations aimed at maximizing price to gear, but with a 2K budget there's no reason not to get quality and simplicity.

A $500 dollar AVR of your choice and ...

www.svsound.com ... SBS or SCS package with sub of choice (if you live in a house or with friendly neighbors). The subs are very capable.

www.********** ... x series, subjectively better speakers IMO and the x-sub is apartment friendly. They are kind of in transition into the newer improved line, but if they are available, they are great.

Aperion and Hsu make nice packages too. Any of the above will get you real home theatre at very reasonable prices for less than 2K. The Orbs or other sats just won't compete for anything but a WAF competition. Not that they are bad, it's just physics. Real speakers sound better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts