AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently suffering from the infamous AMD VIA chipset audio stuttering problems in Windows 2000. Are there any success stories out there using a non VIA based AMD solution to achieve DD5.1/DTS output? Maybe a DDR motherboard like the A7M266? I know a few people have gotten this to work with the VIA, but I have loaded every patch I can get my hands on and am giving up.

Here's my setup:

-Asus A7V

-AMD 1Ghz

-256MB PC133 CAS2

-Toshiba 1402 DVD

-M-Audio Audiophile 24/96

-ATI AIW Radeon

-Windows 2000 (SP2)

-WinDVD 2.6.4

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have the same MB and CPU. On win ME I had problems at first... After forcing my memory into CAS2 mode and bumping the DVD cashing in the registry, I now have perfect playback. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I had a GeForce 2 GTS, I switched to Radeon LE...

Do you have the latest VIA 4 in 1 drivers? DMA enabled?

It should work. (Ihave not tried Win2K though...)

I hope this helps,

Bert

------------------

STOP DFAST!!!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Sorry my bad! I never had audio problems. Never mind. Maybe if I read the post next time...

Bert

------------------

STOP DFAST!!!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Unfortunately, the consensus is that if you want to be sure to get reliable performance for multimedia-intensive appliations (in other words, HTPC), you really need to stick with Intel chipsets. I know some are happily using AMD systems for HTPC, but there are also lots of people having problems. In addition to the soundcard issues, there also appear to be stability issues with HDTV cards such as the accessDTV.

Jeff

·
Registered
86 Posts
AMD systems work fine if configured right and are far more cost effective than Intel.Why use win 2000 when win 98 works fine ?

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi SpaceCat:

___Do you reboot your TV or VCR when you change channels after watching TV all day? This is where Windows 2000 comes in. Once Windows 2000 is up and running with a proper installation including drivers as well as properly written SW, it runs as fast as when it was just booted and will stay up for weeks to months. Win98 SE and Millennium cannot do this. This is just one of the reasons for Windows 2000 … Now if only XP will get rid of all the security, you will probably move to that and discover the same. Have you ever run a 24/7 server off of Millennium? Its good for a few days and System, User, or GDI resources just disappear. The item that can help here is if you run Millennium or 98 SE, launch the players needed and leave them launched. Never shut down WinDVD or the ATI player for example and never launch and than close any other program. You can run Millennium for months this way as well but not many use their HTPC in this manner.

___Does this mean Windows 2000 is for every HTPC? Not yet but both Windows 2000 and XP will be the real pre-emptive multi-tasking OS to use in the not to distant future for all HTPC’s.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I'm guessing that the ASUS A7M266 and the MSI K7 Master MS-6341 motherboards would work. These are both AMD760/761 chipset motherboards that use DDR memory, which is now cheap BTW. Anyone had success with these motherboards?

As far as the difference between the boards, the A7M266 does not allow overclocking, and the SCSI version of the MSI K7 Master was used by Tom at www.tomshardware.com for his ultimate system (but with IDE drives!) I found only one place that sells the on-board-SCSI version, BTW, and it's $300. The non-SCSI MSI K7 Master MS-6341 can be had for about $160 shipped. The A7M266 is closer to $190 shipped and is in short supply.

-Abdul

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your comments. I finally decided to go with Asus CUSL2-C and Intel 1Ghz. I had great success helping a friend build his HTPC with this combo. I guess I'll have a nice A7V 1Ghz AMD upgrade for my other PC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.