AVS Forum banner

81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
8,833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhamp  /t/1333203/best-htpc-keyboard-for-sofa-use-with-trackpad-or-similar/50_50#post_24353075

While I like the K400 on my windows 8 HTPC it is only working line-of-sight for me. My equipment rack is on the back wall and I have to stand up to use the keyboard (will not go through the sofa even though its only 10' away. I was looking for a Bluetooth version but have not found one yet.
Why not get a 2m or so USB extension cable and move the receiver to the top of the rack (or some other point) where you can get line of sight from the couch?

·
Registered
15,260 Posts
I thought the previous post was just spam, but it's actually a pretty decent list for those still reading this decade old thread. The likes of the Nvidia Shield and other streamers have pretty much made the HTPC obsolete. Plus your phone can be used as a pretty good HTPC keyboard.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I thought the previous post was just spam, but it's actually a pretty decent list for those still reading this decade old thread. The likes of the Nvidia Shield and other streamers have pretty much made the HTPC obsolete. Plus your phone can be used as a pretty good HTPC keyboard.
@mdavej and @Keyboard Cutter :

thank you both for your comments, input.

question please: i only use one streaming device: a Roku Ultra 4800R (replacing an 8-year old Roku3). however, i noticed that there are a number of apps that would NOT allow me to use the Roku Android app to use a virtual keyboard to help me input a title of a movie or a tv show. am i missing something or am i not understanding how to get a virtual keyboard to come up when i need to input an unwieldy movie name or tv show name?

you'd think that they would make it simple to have a virtual keyboard pop up on my cellphone whenever the need to input something lengthy would arise, right?

confused.

PS: i'm an infrequent user of many of the features of my Roku Ultra. i only use it every night to pull up a show or two and that's it. i don't have a thorough understanding of the nitty gritty "how to do's" of the Roku Ultra, so i might well have missed some nifty ways to get things done. thanks.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I use an old Dinovo keyboard (not mini).
There also is an Android app that acts as a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, without requiring a software on the computer side: Serverless Bluetooth Keyboard & Mouse for PC/Phone - Apps on Google Play
I also use Antimicro, which allows you to assign keypresses/mouse movement to gamepads. A small wireless gamepad may be sufficient to define the keys you need ( AntiMicro/antimicro ), the are working an a new version but it does not yet run on Windows.
Back to hardware:
Lenovo used to have an interesting model that looked like a remote with a small keyboard and touchpad, and it may still be available.
Riitek ( http://www.riitek.com/product/mini.html ) has quite a range of small keyboards, some even double as an IR remote (double check which keys can defined with IR commands) and some even add bluetooth audio in the mix. But no personal experience with them.

81 - 85 of 85 Posts