AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I presently am using a 8800 GT that I'm not happy with - it freezes my computer during BlueRay watching. I want to purchase another video card (no gaming) and was wondering if someone could suggest a top notch video card.

Q6600

4 Gigs Ram

Water Cooled

Integra 9.8

Samsung DLP

·
Registered
420 Posts
Well, if you want 7.1 LPCM uncompressed audio then the 4850 video card would be a good choice, but it is more power than you need. If you just want good video, then the 3650 is a good option, low power consumption and does a good job with BD. Pairing that card with the upcoming ASUS HDAV1.3 will give you BD plus bitstreaming of new HD Audio formats. The 3650 is cheap and best of all, you can get in passively cooled.

If you aren't watching any 1080i material, then the 3450 would be plenty, but it is not good for deinterlacing. There is a thread that just discussed this as well.

Alex

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I agree, the 8800GT is more than capable of Blu-Ray playback. I used mine through a DVI-HDMI cable, and it played BD and HD-DVD perfectly. You might want to look at your software/drivers first before spending money on a new card that you really dont need.

I also have a Palit 9600GT Sonic, with HDMI out, and it works perfectly also, both BD and HD-DVD.

·
Registered
420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtyler1 /forum/post/14186009

If you aren't watching any 1080i material, then the 3450 would be plenty, but it is not good for deinterlacing. There is a thread that just discussed this as well.

Alex

You may also want to consider a 3470. It is better at deinterlacing than the 3450. It also is available with a passive heat sink.

Eric

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Best = Nvidia XXXX...no wait...ATI XXXX.....but wait sec...Nvidia XXXX...no wait...ATI XXXX.....but wait sec...Nvidia XXXX...no wait...ATI XXXX.....but wait sec...Nvidia XXXX...no wait...ATI XXXX.....but wait sec...

Point being, there IS no such thing as "best". What works for one person, may not work for you and vice versa.

·
Registered
379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone /forum/post/14186614

Best = Nvidia XXXX...no wait...ATI XXXX.....but wait sec...Nvidia XXXX...no wait...ATI XXXX.....but wait sec...Nvidia XXXX...no wait...ATI XXXX.....but wait sec...Nvidia XXXX...no wait...ATI XXXX.....but wait sec...

Point being, there IS no such thing as "best". What works for one person, may not work for you and vice versa.

What he said... !

·
Registered
2,206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone /forum/post/14186614

Yep, great point. I only pointed out the 8800GT since he already has one!

That said, I would have waited for the 4850 for my HTPC except for Arcsoft TMT doesnt like the ATI cards with Vista, from what I hear.

And what is best today, will not be best in 6 months!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The problem that I'm having the 8800 GT is some slight lipsync problem with BluRay ISO's.

I'm experimenting with overclocking my Q6600 to see if that eliminates the problem. But I will probably be getting the Asus 1.3 HDMI audio card next month.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer1977 /forum/post/14187528

The problem that I'm having the 8800 GT is some slight lipsync problem with BluRay ISO's.

I'm experimenting with overclocking my Q6600 to see if that eliminates the problem. But I will probably be getting the Asus 1.3 HDMI audio card next month.

whoa...that's quite a few different issues clubbed together.

Problem = lipsync issues with your current setup.

BUT, that's with Bluray "ISO" images. Have you tried direct M2TS rips? Do they have the same problem? Do you have the lipsync issue when playing a BD directly without ripping?

Overclocking the Q6600 - Has absolutely nothing to do with lipsync. It's plenty fast even at stock for BD playback.

"Will be getting the ASUS audio card" - Great. But what does that have to do with lipsync??

You have to examine your configuration more carefully, and see where the problem is. I can almost guarantee that it's not the 8800GT. Hell, I have one (I have too many video cards...grrr....) and it ran everything perfectly (HD DVD/BD/HDTV live and recorded) even on a lowly (but slightly overclocked) e2160 dual core. Your quad core should be more than sufficient.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've never watched a BlueRay with out ripping. I have to try that though. A few minutes ago watching a BD, my computer froze. The part that has me baffled is that the problems are only with BD viewing everything else works perfectly.

If while watching a BD I get a lipsync issue, if I pause and restart the movie it goes back in sync for a little while. So as you can see, I don't know if it's the card or Power DVD 8 ultra.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts