AVS Forum banner

2901 - 2920 of 3212 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
So...after a month of use, how do you like the upgrade to Atmos and the speaker quality?
I think its outstanding. I just watched Venom and the Atmos effects were stunning. For the small amount of money I put in it has been a tremendous return. The whole room feels alive with sound!

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
I think its outstanding. I just watched Venom and the Atmos effects were stunning. For the small amount of money I put in it has been a tremendous return. The whole room feels alive with sound!

Nexus99,

Thanks for your video, I enjoyed watching it. Question, am I correct that you used only two amplifier channels to power all four atmos/ceiling speakers? I thought each one would need its own amplifier channel.

David

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi folks.
Have a front heights vs front ceiling speaker question.
I am currently running a 5.1.4 configuration where my front atmos are front heights with emp Tek E5bi bookshelf speakers on the front wall close to the ceiling angled towards MLP.
My rear atmos are in ceiling behind the MLP where they should be.
My question is would it be more effective for atmos sound to have front atmos in ceiling closer to MLP than using the front height, conisering the in ceiling speakers (Sonance Mag6r) are not as powerful as the bookshelves.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
982 Posts
Nexus99,

Thanks for your video, I enjoyed watching it. Question, am I correct that you used only two amplifier channels to power all four atmos/ceiling speakers? I thought each one would need its own amplifier channel.

David
I used 4 channels. 2 from the AVR and 2 from the Dayton amplifier. The Denon 4400H has 11 channels of processing but only 9 channels of power. You need to add 2 more channels of amplification to run 7.x.4 from the unit. Let me know if that makes sense.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Hi folks.
Have a front heights vs front ceiling speaker question.
I am currently running a 5.1.4 configuration where my front atmos are front heights with emp Tek E5bi bookshelf speakers on the front wall close to the ceiling angled towards MLP.
My rear atmos are in ceiling behind the MLP where they should be.
My question is would it be more effective for atmos sound to have front atmos in ceiling closer to MLP than using the front height, conisering the in ceiling speakers (Sonance Mag6r) are not as powerful as the bookshelves.

I would try to get the fronts at a 45 degree angle from the MLP. Aesthetically the in ceiling probably looks better. If they are too far forward they will start to mix with the front sound stage.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I used 4 channels. 2 from the AVR and 2 from the Dayton amplifier. The Denon 4400H has 11 channels of processing but only 9 channels of power. You need to add 2 more channels of amplification to run 7.x.4 from the unit. Let me know if that makes sense.
Which amp are you using? Model? Mind sharing the $$ you spent on it?
I am thinking of moving my LR to an external amp or possibly LCR but dont have much to spend..

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
I am thinking of moving my LR to an external amp or possibly LCR but dont have much to spend..

What kind of budget do you have?

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts

Thanks Nexus. I understand, I just didn't realize the other channels were being fed by the amps in your AVR.

·
Registered
982 Posts

I used a Dayton APA-102. More than enough power. 100 bucks. I wouldn't use this as a LCR amp though. For Atmos its great.

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts

I am using Parasound Halo A21, caught it while it was on sale for Xmas, it was $1500.00

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm struggling with deciding on my .4 atmos ceiling speakers.

I have seen so many good recommendations for the the RSL c34e speakers but they are just a tad out of my budget. Wanting to stick around the $300-350 mark.

The best ones I can find are the the Polk Audio RC80i @ 135$/pair on amazon. Can someone talk me out of these for some reason and into another speaker or into the RSLs?

Have PSA MT-110s for my LRC, Volt 10s for my rear surrounds and PSA V1510s for the subs.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I own PSA T210’s and use JBL ceiling speakers with compression drivers (similar to the drivers in the PSA’s). I believe Tom Vodhanel from PSA recommended these as a good match for PSA’s some time ago. Could be out of your price range, however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
I own PSA T210’s and use JBL ceiling speakers with compression drivers (similar to the drivers in the PSA’s). I believe Tom Vodhanel from PSA recommended these as a good match for PSA’s some time ago. Could be out of your price range, however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you are talking about like the jbs control 226/c, then yeah a little out of my price range. Those are like 450$ a pair. I’m wanting to say around 150-175/pair.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I'm struggling with deciding on my .4 atmos ceiling speakers.

I have seen so many good recommendations for the the RSL c34e speakers but they are just a tad out of my budget. Wanting to stick around the $300-350 mark.

The best ones I can find are the the Polk Audio RC80i @ 135$/pair on amazon. Can someone talk me out of these for some reason and into another speaker or into the RSLs?

Have PSA MT-110s for my LRC, Volt 10s for my rear surrounds and PSA V1510s for the subs.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YPS6T6/ref=twister_B075G2L9PN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hey guys, been a long time since I've been on this site, as I've been locked into my setup for the last 10 years or so. Last month I decided it was time for an upgrade to everything...minus the Energy RCs I have for LCR and surrounds. I know matching the mains with in-ceiling isnt as big of a deal, I'm hoping for good atmos speakers to match the Kevlar woofers and aluminum tweeter; budget is under $250 a speaker. The Micca R-8C (although I usually dismiss budget speakers) look to be a pretty good match for me. But, I cant find them anywhere, and info is limited; have they been discontinued or just out of stock? If discontinued, do I just go with the RSLs even though they arent really a match for my speakers? Open to other suggestions to too...if only KLH started to make in ceilings, or I could find some used Energy RC-6/8Cs :p Thanks all!

·
Registered
530 Posts
A little over a year ago I got my first in-ceiling speakers for Atmos/DTS:X: Russound RSF-620. I got them for a hair under $50 a piece and I am pleased with the quality of the sound.

However, I've started to think about whether or not I went the correct route with a flat speaker with a pivoting tweeter versus an angled woofer+pivoting speaker.

I've been looking at Russound's RSA-635 ceiling speaker, as it has a 15 degree tilt and the cutout diameter is exactly the same. Russound is offering the speakers for sale at 2.5x the price I paid for RSFs.

15 degrees doesn't seem like a whole lot, though. Can I reasonably expect a better overhead sound experience with an angled woofer? Or am I shooting for the moon/looking to unnecessarily spend more money? Russound states the RSF-620 is a "wide dispersion" speaker, though they offer no measurements to back up that claim.

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
A little over a year ago I got my first in-ceiling speakers for Atmos/DTS:X: Russound RSF-620. I got them for a hair under $50 a piece and I am pleased with the quality of the sound.

However, I've started to think about whether or not I went the correct route with a flat speaker with a pivoting tweeter versus an angled woofer+pivoting speaker.

I've been looking at Russound's RSA-635 ceiling speaker, as it has a 15 degree tilt and the cutout diameter is exactly the same. Russound is offering the speakers for sale at 2.5x the price I paid for RSFs.

15 degrees doesn't seem like a whole lot, though. Can I reasonably expect a better overhead sound experience with an angled woofer? Or am I shooting for the moon/looking to unnecessarily spend more money? Russound states the RSF-620 is a "wide dispersion" speaker, though they offer no measurements to back up that claim.

If you can get them and return them, it sounds like it'd be an easy swap, and you could just see if it's an improvement or not. My guess is that it will not improve the overall sound quality over what you have right now. If they were non-returnable, I would not bother. But that's just me, I could be wrong. :eek:

·
Registered
2,320 Posts

I seriously doubt you'll notice a difference. For a couple of reasons...

If your system is calibrated, then you should be receiving the same SPL at the main listening position from your speakers... Regardless of drivers being aimed or not. So it doesn't matter what Atmos speakers you have. SPL is SPL.

The only other variable I can think of is off-access sound quality... since you're not directly in front of the speakers, and are off access, will the new and more expensive speakers have better off access sound quality than what you have today?

You should check the online reviews to see if anyone benchmarked that.

And finally, even if the new speakers have better off access sound quality, it's not like you're listening to 2-channel stereo out of your Atmos speakers. It's ambience sounds. Would better off access sound quality matter in a DTS:X or Atmos soundtrack?

I think if everything is calibrated at the correct SPL, he won't notice a difference.

-T

2901 - 2920 of 3212 Posts