AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 3235 Posts

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Thanks, that is one nice theater. Mine will be much more simple. I leaning toward the Tannoy coaxial in ceiling speakers .
Good choice...........I'm leaning that way unless Triad has something to announce at CEDIA.

If Tannoy's are good enough for an ex-Dolby engineer who has helped Atmos come to fruition, should be good enough for rest of us. ;)

BTW, thanks for complement. :)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Speaking of coaxials, perhaps you guys might want to wander over to the DIY forum and look at these coaxials: http://www.diysoundgroup.com/coaxial-speaker-kits/v8-volt-kit.html

$138 and another $21 for the box, and it's not a difficult kit to put together at all. Add some more MDF around the box (better yet build another box to fit around this one) and you've got a pretty damped box.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I just ordered 4 of the 10" volts with the surround flat packs for my surrounds. I think these are going to be perfect for atmos as well.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Implementing Atmos, you do NOT want di or bi-poles! ;)

You need 90 degree dispersion speakers......ie coaxials, concentric drivers (Tannoy coaxial) .
I don't care what Dolby recommend. Diffused speakers work better in my room for side/surrounds. I did have dipole sides, bipole rears but now have bipole for side and surrounds.

Monopoles for sides and surrounds doesn't work, I don't like them.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Can drywall support the weight of in-ceiling speakers? My plan is to plywood the theater then drywall for sound control and where the 2 ceiling speakers will be, I was going to built a little box around them in the ceiling but the way the Def Tech speakers mount is as you tighten the screws, latches swing out and lower as you turn until the speaker is secure. However it doesnt seem to have enough clearance between the latch and speaker to fit drywall and plywood. I'm thinking I may have to skip the plywood just around the ceiling speakers and mount them just to drywall. Any thoughts? The speakers are DI 8R so they each weigh 4.8 lbs

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I don't care what Dolby recommend. Diffused speakers work better in my room for side/surrounds. I did have dipole sides, bipole rears but now have bipole for side and surrounds.

Monopoles for sides and surrounds doesn't work, I don't like them.
I think he meant for your height ceiling speakers, you may not want Bipole or dipole speakers.
Sides and surround Bipoles are fine, in fact, they are preferred my many, including me. :p

But for ceiling speakers in Atmos, a wide dispersion with at least 90 degrees is preferred. Adjustable tweeter would be a benefit too.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I'm about to start designing my basement re-build to support HT... it currently has 2 in-ceiling Speakercraft as surrounds. I currently us an Onkyo NR818 with 5.1 but want to prep for Atmos since I'll be tearing up walls/ceilings for the remodel.

Do you guys suggest I prep to 2 or 4 ceiling speakers?

I use Paradigm as my 5.1 today, and have no plans on changing that.

My room is ~ 20' long & 15' wide with mostly 9' ceilings.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I would go with 4 Atmos speakers if possible.
Any reason to do 6? - in case one format (2 vs 4 in ceiling) catches on more than another, or different movies are better at some than another? I'll have the ceiling apart anyway and extra speakers and wire is not that expensive.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Any reason to do 6? - in case one format (2 vs 4 in ceiling) catches on more than another, or different movies are better at some than another? I'll have the ceiling apart anyway and extra speakers and wire is not that expensive.
First generation processors will only do four........maybe 2nd gen will do 6 or maybe your stuck having to purchase expensive Datastat 20i? :confused:

I'm going to see how this all pans out........I'm going to loose money selling my Marantz 8801.,.....don't want to do same with Datastat......much larger, costlier mistake if Datastat becomes redundant soon after purchasing.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Jbl controls seems pretty expensive for just speakers used as background noise

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
They are around 250-275 a piece, so they aren't dirt cheap but it's all relative. They are less than 1/3rd the price of a JTR Single 8, but less performance, of course.

Honestly, if you want in-ceiling compression drivers and an integrated back box, these are probably your only choice in the market.

Like anything else, there are always cheaper solutions.

I don't think atmos mixes will use those overhead channels for just background noise. There will be specific parts of soundtrack and objects using the overhead speakers.

21 - 40 of 3235 Posts