AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 3235 Posts

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
They are around 250-275 a piece, so they aren't dirt cheap but it's all relative. They are less than 1/3rd the price of a JTR Single 8, but less performance, of course.

Honestly, if you want in-ceiling compression drivers and an integrated back box, these are probably your only choice in the market.

Like anything else, there are always cheaper solutions.

I don't think atmos mixes will use those overhead channels for just background noise. There will be specific parts of soundtrack and objects using the overhead speakers.
Thanks again for pointing these out. As you mentioned , they are much cheaper then my triple 8 JTR surrounds and should integrate nicely. Might just have to pick four of these up in the next few months as I upgrade to Atmos

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
They might be great speakers but totally overkill for ceiling. $100 per speaker, tops is what people should be spending.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
There is no right answer to dollar amount a person should spend on atmos speakers. A person with a 100k home theater is going to make different decisions than a person with a 50k HT than a person with a 10k HT than a person with a 1k HT. Doesn't mean each person can't enjoy the hobby and their equipment.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Thanks again for pointing these out. As you mentioned , they are much cheaper then my triple 8 JTR surrounds and should integrate nicely. Might just have to pick four of these up in the next few months as I upgrade to Atmos

http://www.klipsch.com/ic-650-t/details one more in ceiling with compression driver; roughly same price but may be less sensitive (it's hard to tell) - these also come in black

could also do these and angle them as desired - http://www.klipsch.com/KPT-801/details

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm in the same situation, I have a Atmos receiver and I'm trying to figure out what speakers to mount in the ceiling for the atmos to sound the best.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would go with 4 Atmos speakers if possible.

Do you know the best layout for the atmos ceiling speakers? I bought four ceiling speakers and our couches are against the back wall with 13' to the screen from there. I was thinking 2 overhead and 2 on each side of the room facing the couch. thoughts?

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Apparently after reading all the Dolby Atmos demos from CEDIA 2014 that used Ceiling speakers for Atmos the GE was the best sounding, guessing due to the wide dispersion as per Dolby's recommendation aimed at the listening area?-

·
Banned
919 Posts
The Tannoy speakers have voltage adjustable transformers. When connecting directly to your standard AVR, would you keep it in the Low Impedance setting?

·
Banned
3,901 Posts
Cinema uses arrays and have to cover long distances.......different animal.

In a home Atmos system, the last speaker you need are wave guide or horn configurations....ie Klipsh/HSU. Simple......90 degree dispersion is the goal......not to many speakers on current market comply. CEDIA 2014 might have new products that conform.
I've been trying to find out what the vertical / horizontal dispersion values are for the speakers I had in mind for my height channels, the LSR 305s. I totally love the sound I get from my three 308s as LCRs and now I think I'll be running 5 of them for my base 5.1 setup, and then four 305s mounted not on the ceiling, but high up on my walls angled downwards as per the Auro 3D diagram which apparently can be made to work with Atmos pre-pros as well.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb14/articles/jbl-3-series.htm

I have really high ceilings like 13 feet (a loft), but instead of installing actual downfiring concentric drivers, I'd like to stick to my active speaker goal of using all JBLs but I'm just wondering if this is a bad idea for the height channels at least. I don't own this place so I can't really cut out holes from the ceiling to install 4 in-ceiling concentric drivers, but I'm hoping with a decent Atmos receiver I can put my height channels on walls but angled down towards the seating area.

Can you tell me why waveguides are bad specifically? I mean, they don't all spread sound out more than 90 degrees, do they? I wish I knew whether these 305s would be decent as height channels prior to purchase because in that case I won't buy them. My upgrade plan is to get two 305s to finish my 5 channels, then add two more for 7.1 classic, then put all four of those as height channels and get two more 308s for my seating height surrounds and then end up with a 5.1.4 setup with near identical speakers that are all powered.

Am I crazy to try and do this? I figure I could upgrade to 7.1, then when I get an Atmos receiver try out the surround rears as front heights, then decide if it sounds good and the sound field is decent.

·
Banned
919 Posts
Simple solution...........order without transformer........I'm considering Tannoy CVS 601DC
Wow, did I miss the obvious or what? Next I suspect you will tell me that instead of buying ice I can simply put water in my freezer and wait a few hours... ;)

Where are you thinking of buying them from?

41 - 60 of 3235 Posts