AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting more excited about setting up my first home theatre which will also be the main source of my music. A room without walls opening to windows in the back and the kitchen and living room. I met with an AV theatre consultant who proposed Onkyo TXSR 609 Amp and Elan Elios in ceiling speakers. I stopped at the Magnolia/Best Buy and listened to a Pioneer Elite SC 35 connected to Speakercraft 8" 150w in ceiling speaker (AIM8three). The speakercraft sounded very nice. There really isn't anywhere I know to listen to various in ceiling speakers so I may have to go on reputation. In addition to the surround I would also be putting auxillary speakers in the ceiling of the kitchen, living room and on the patio. I have heard some negative responses to in ceiling front speakers though the AV guy said the Elios are designed to sound great from that position. I guess I could also look into a soundbar. Any thoughts? Thanks much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There isn't much of a wall.... there will be a half wall built which will house the amp and other components and hang the TV. The wall will be 6 ft tall and 52 inches wide. I guess I could put speakers in there but there wouldn't be much separation and there isn't much space.

·
Registered
11,700 Posts
Hmm. That is tricky. You are looking at a soundbar then or I would get something like this for your front three (notice the angle):
http://www.definitivetech.com/Produc...UIW%20RCS%20II

For your surrounds, you could get something like this:
http://www.definitivetech.com/Produc...IW%20RSS%20III

The one thing I like for in an in-ceiling speaker is the engineered enclosed speaker vs the open baffle speaker. Those Deftech's can be found for well under MSRP online.

IMHO, you are still compromising your sound for your main three speakers with in-ceiling, but you will minimize the compromise with the angled speaker. A soundbar might be a good idea as well.

How large is the room, and what are you doing about a subwoofer?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The room is 14' in depth but there is no wall between the kitchen. Any particular sound bar you would recommend? I think I have to consider it because you are not the first person who suggested not using in ceiling for the front surrounds. I will get a subwoofer but haven't gotten that far yet... also open to any and all recommendations about that. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts