AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am a novice to the home theater world but want to learn more. I have been lurking on this forum for past few days and really amazed at all the thouhgtful responses by people.

I am looking into some in-ceiling speakers for both outdoors and indoors

INDOORS

I have cathedral ceilings in my living room so probably 20' high with slope starting at 10'. The living room is 18'X20' and the open kitchen is 13'X19'

I am thinking of buying the Devon AVR E-400 that can provide 5.1 indoors and connect 2 speakers in the patio with a different source essentially letting us enjoy music in "two rooms" from different sources.

For the 5.1 in living, I am planning to put the 4 speakers high up in the cathedral. I will put a center speaker and subwoofer on the floor. 1) Does that work to have the 4 in-ceiling speakers that high (around 16 to 18' high)?

2) If the speakers are that high, what would be a good power output for those speakers?

3) Would a eye-ball speaker be better?

4) Any brands that you might recommend. I know Paradigm has in-celing speakers and I think outlaw might have too.

OUTDOORS

It is a covered patio and am planning to put 2 in-ceiling speakers. Same questions but I am looking for weather-resistant speakers.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider  /t/1470012/best-in-ceiling-speakers#post_23247714

Anyone?

You're new, so I'll be kind

The search feature is very useful and will get you lots of opinions before most people respond to your question.

Most people here (including me) will try to dissuade you from doing what you propose. Many people with dedicated home theaters go through the extra effort of an acoustically-transparent screen for the sole purpose of having the sound come from where the director/sound-guys intended it to come from... the same people ensure the speakers are aimed at the prime viewing spot and that the same speakers (or within the same speaker line) are used to match 'timbre' across the front speakers. This prevents the quality of the sound from changing when it should not (imagine someone talking in a movie as they walk across the scene and the tone of their voice changing). The most difficult aspect of your setup is the ceiling height... having the center channel low and the L/R that high up creates a real problem for any panning sound (the race car that goes from top left to bottom middle to top right as it goes straight across the middle of the screen). You want to get the L/C/R speakers as close to the screen/listening height as you can, and certainly want them all as close to the same height as you can get. There are some very good speakers (e.g. the Triad InCeiling LCRs, the Definitive UIW RCS) made for in-ceiling home-theater application, but not from that height... I'd seriously contact the manufacturers directly and ask them about ceiling speakers that high up... to keep them honest, at least pretend that you are still considering one of their in-room or in-wall products. Speaking of In-wall speakers, is that an option for you? Bottom line is you will get much better sound in your case from in-room or in-wall speakers (the former being the better value). Ceiling speakers will work that high for whole-house audio, but really create a no-win situation for home theater. You'd be better off saving your money and buying a decent sound-bar I think. You really need to get creative with a room of your dimensions if you don't want floorstanders or bookshelf's as L/C/R... maybe an LCR soundbar and in-wall surrounds?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a ton and I appreciate you are patient toward this novice. I did seach on the forum but did not find any particular to my situation for in-ceiling on cathedrals.

Anyways, I will look at in-wall and really liked B&W, speakercraft and Def Tech at Magnolia. I think one that allows me to pivot the direction will be better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts