AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might have missed it but after hours of searching I found scattered remarks about the best monitor options. I think to save everybody here a lot of time answering to many quesitons, maybe someone, or a few people might write a best in class for monitors. There are many debates in the HDTV forums but as far as htpc use I think the personal preference approach is not as valid. There are FPTVs and RPTVs and DirectVeiws that are better, easier to setup and more inept to work in an htpc's demanding use variance.

Maybe one for FPTV, RPTV, and Direct View. If someone has been researching any one aspect of this for long enough they are probably able to post a great low, mid, high for at least one of these options.

Heck, I've noticed much of it depends on how you mainly use your monitor, S-TV, HD-TV and DVD, and Desktop in some order. Maybe a work like this would be too demanding and I'm sorry for bringing it up, but for someone who wants to be the next exel this could be great for you and everyone who doen't have to hear the common questions of the new builders.In the same way the best in class for htpc's worked, this could prove an insainly valuable tool, considering the screen almost alway costs more than the pc.

If I am mistaken here, the task is impossible or it has already been done, please call me a moron and tell me where to find this info. But if this seems possible to anyone, let me be the first to thank you for your time and knowledge.

Any yeahs or neahs are more than welcome. Thank you.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
You've probably seen my attempt at this topic. Got a couple pf responses. I think timing is important with threads.

It would be wonderful if we could get this info in one thread. If anybody else starts a thread of the same topic, lets just remind them to post here instead.

The HTPC display will be my next upgrade. I had considered an NECLT150 as my next upgrade, but I think that I would end up using the $450 Bulb in a couple of months. I am currently using a 27" SVGA Monitor made for the former Gateway Destination PCs. It works well and brings me into the HTPC world, but it only cost $300 and the geometry leaves something to be desired. As well as the size of the screen. I think that 27" has gotten too small for me even to browse the web. Although I could pickup a cheap data projector and use that for web and not waste the bulb on the NECLT150. But I also don't want to waste bulb life on TV viewing, but I want a bigger than 27" screen for that.

I'll see if I can go grab some quotes from my former thread and post them here, to get it started.

I like the looks of the 34" Sampo Widescreen Direct View set. But it is on the smaller side of what I would want. I believe I have seen a 42" direct view set, but I didn't catch the price.

The main features I am looking for is XGA resolution or higher. Widescreen aspect ratio. A 16:9 screen would be much better, IMO, if it was 1365 x 768, rather than 1024 x 576. I've seen both of these listed as XGA 16:9.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Quote:
Posted by Automagic about best HTPC display under $2500:

I have a 34" sampo and I like it because it will do 720p as well as 480p and 1080i of course. It has a VGA connection on the back which means you don't have to spend the big bucks for converting. I know it's small compared to some, but is has the sharpest picture that I have seen in a hdtv. I haven't compared it to projectors. Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Paul
posted here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=sampo
Quote:
Posted by Karnis in same thread as above:

Might I suggest the Panasonic PT56WXF95, if you can still find them (check Yahoo shopping). It is 480p/540p/1080i/720p capable, and since it is last years' model the price on it has dropped a fair amount.
Quote:
Posted by mikem01 in: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=sampo

I spent about a month researching this topic and finally wound up with the Mits Platinum Plus 65" RPTV. According to many people I talked to it has the next level down image from the Pioneer Elite RPTV which is considered one of the best screens if not THE best.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had run into your first post but the second was new to me and very interesting. Thanks. Good idea pulling quotes. I will do the same and anytime I see I dignified remark I send it this way. Maybe we'll have a nice thread here.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
From the standpoint of CRT projectors, I nominate the Sony G90 as best in a very high $$$ class. Properly set-up, it produces an unbelievably bright detailed image, and the scan rates that this thing will do is ferocious (anyone for DVD at 144Hz vertical refresh?). Of course, at $24k or so, it ain't exactly cheap, but still's a bargain compared to a new e-home 9500, which isn't as bright.

On the slightly less pricey scale, a "B-Stock" Sony G-70. Runs about $6-8k for a unit with less than 250 hours, less if it has more hours. Set-up is easy for a CRT unit, it's the brightest in the 8" CRT class, and allows very high scan rates (120 kHz minimum, although the specs say 135kHz max). Quadrupole magnetic focusing allows a very tight beam spot and very high resolution. Resolution is a tough thing to measure on a CRT, but my set-up is easily capable of resolving 960p on test patterns.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.