AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for opinions on what everyone thinks is the best value on in-wall speakers. I will be doing a 7.1 system. The room is 22x12. I will have a budget at around $1500.00 (Not including the Subwoofer).

~Josh

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
I'm not going to suggest Triad, because it's out of your budget, but I will offer a suggestion. If your budget is $1500, do a 5.1 system, and place the surrounds back a bit farther than you had planned. Spend more per speaker on the three identical fronts than the surrounds, because they are more important. You can wire for 7.1, and add two more speakers later, but my suggestion is to do the best three fronts you can, and do two decent 5.1 surrounds.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Excellent advice from Paul. As far as speaker brands within your budget, I think I'd look at Niles and Russound. Both have wide ranges of in-wall and in-ceiling speakers, including some budget speakers.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Some other manufacturers in that price range might include SpeakerCraft (I gotta say that the sales reps for that brand are overly enthusiastic), Polk, Klipsch, JBL, Paradigm (these don't really compare well to their conventional speakers IMO) and B&W.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'd go for the Jamo in-ceiling speakers, the kevlar series.

They are incredible.

And paul was correct, stay with the 5.1 and put money into the install, etc.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What does everyone think of the HomeTech In-Wall THX speakers made by Sonance?

~Josh

·
Registered
19 Posts
well I have B&w CWM 650 fronts and cwm cinema center with elan ME650 in ceilling for surround that should be close to your budget. Bought the speaker but haven't been installed.

Initially I am going for the paradigm AMS series. it sounded really good for the price. but I have to buy the in pairs. So I ended up with B&W which is a bit pricier but a bit better also

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Of the Paradigms and B&Ws, I much preferred the latter. Which is strange since I much prefer Paradigm's conventional speakers (Studio line) to their B&W competition. Go figure...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Josh,

I have a 5.1 in ceiling hometech set up in my bedroom. They are a great inexpensive speaker. You definitely have to have a sub with them. It is really a fun little set up for the bedroom. I am thinking about adding a pair to my main theater area to make it 7.1.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Josh, I just had a pair of Sonance Symphony's installed in a 5.1 system and retail for the pair was 299.00. It was the SYM-622TR model that has a directional tweeter that you can adjust to fit your rooms accoutics. Very nice and can handle a lot of sound.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedpeters
I'd go for the Jamo in-ceiling speakers, the kevlar series.

They are incredible.
What is a good source for Jamo? In comparing against Speakercraft, Jamo appears to have a better selection of speakers for my 7.1 setup. Looking to do all in-wall. With Speakercraft that would be 7 x AIM LCR1's, which doesn't appear right. I've got about $2K budgeted for in-wall speakers, sub, and in-wall enclosures (if they really necessary).

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Let me know how you like them. There's one dealer in town that carries them, but they don't have them set up. They were more than happy to SELL them, just not let me HEAR them. Jamo has been recommended more than once here and I'd appreciate your thoughts on them.

·
Registered
313 Posts
For value you must check out Earthqauke Audio. They have some excellent products for the money. Sure, our Dynaudio IP24's are better but they come at a price. :D :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.