AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of my local channels are VHF. What is your suggestion for that? Does the amplified antenna I am considering seem like a good deal?

Christopher

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hmm...

You don't want to receive analog NTSC OTA, not in a city.

You will most likely have a lot of ghosting, noise etc.

On plus side you will know whenever a garage door opener

is being operated in 2M radius, some1 uses a cell phone

etc.

You will be MUCH better off by getting your favorite local (affiliates of national networks) channels in DTV OTA, which is normally UHF, and this is why only UHF antennas were mentioned.

Just like I said, head to the RS, get the things and try them out. Our experience doesn't translate into your success or failure.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I only watch a tiny amount of broadcast television, I was thinking of cutting off my cable service and getting a really good indoor antenna, as I live near the center of a city. Is there such a thing as a "very good indoor antenna," and if so, which is the best model. I would like to use it for analog television now and HDTV in two years when the channels make the switch. My apartment is on the bottom floor of a 4 story wooden building and I get ghosting and unclear images with my cheap rabbit ears. An outdoor antenna is against my lease, but I might be able to sneak something onto a covered porch, but I would rather not.

This is the best one I could find from Radio Shack:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D1862

Will this amplified antenna help?

Suggestions please.

Christopher

·
Registered
651 Posts
Read my post about $19.99 double-bow-tie from RatShack.

Read another one, by the same truly yours, about $19.99

yagi (might need to use this one if you have strong

multipathing issues).

Silver sensor worked magic for many here (do a search).

I would head to RS, get 3 different antennas, try

them, keep the winner and hassle-free return the others.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rashid11:
Read my post about $19.99 double-bow-tie from RatShack.

Read another one, by the same truly yours, about $19.99

yagi (might need to use this one if you have strong

multipathing issues).

Silver sensor worked magic for many here (do a search).
While both of these antennas are good (I own both as well), bear in mind that they are UHF only. You would need an additional VHF antenna to receive your local networks. (assuming your networks are all below channel 14)

Chip

·
Registered
100 Posts
The RS $19.95 yagi works great. I'm 50 miles from the transmitters and get all NYC digitals in the 80s-90s and the antenna is in the attic! But, it is only UHF. That doesn't matter to me as all the NYC digitals are UHF. I get everything else from Dish Network.

chad

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
First of all, the transition to digital does not occur in two years. Stations must be on the air in May of 2002, but that does not mean all programming must be transmitted digitally. The nominal changeover from analog to total digital transmission will not occur until January 2006. This is digital. There is no requirement that any broadcasting is to be done in HD, though the hope is that most (Dare we hope "all"?) will be in that resolution standard. Complicating the picture is a little understood provision that if 85% of the elligible viewers have not acquired the necessary equipment for digital reception, the mandatory transition date from analog to digital will be extended.

Now to your question. I'm presuming, since you didn't indicate, that you're after broadband - VHF and UHF - reception. An amplified antenna may not solve your problem if you're currently plagued with ghosting. Amplifying ghosts may only make for stronger ghosts... By the way, ghosts are technically a result of "multipath" - delayed secondary signal reflection(s) signal causing a secondary or multiple images. What you find annoying now will could well be a complete reception killer with digital. The delayed secondary signal reflection(s) confuse the digital decoder circuitry. But, since RatShack has an extremely liberal return policy, go ahead and try it. (Try to keep the original packaging in saleable condition, though.) With RF reception, luck often plays as much a role in successful signal acquisition as technical knowledge. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.