AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal...my sister is going away to college with our family receiver and speakers that we have used for music, movies, video games, radio, etc. since before I was born (so pretty much for the past 20 years).

Next year, I will be moving off campus at my college and I will want to host dance parties, movies, and whatnot, so I want an integrated amplifier and speakers that will do the job as well as last long enough so my kids can fool around with it.

My sister is taking our Pioneer VSX-401 along with two speakers that are like 3 feet tall.

I'm not a big audio-guy, so I have no clue whether that thing is any good or not...but it sure has done the job for the past 20 years. I know it is a receiver, but I think an integrated amplifier would suit my purposes better considering I don't need the video connections.

In conclusion, I was just wondering what integrated amplifier and speakers I could get for less than $1000 that would work for the next 20 years just like our Pioneer receiver and speakers worked. Also, it would be nice if the amplifier could connect a microphone.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
An integrated amp won't have a tuner either, just so you are aware.

As far as recommending something that will last 20 years, some electronics seem to last forever, some don't make it out of warranty. No way to tell. For speakers look for something with rubber surrounds, not foam, and you will easily get 20 years out of them...if you don't abuse them.

·
The Village Idiot
9,713 Posts
If you are wanting to use the receiver (AVR) for movies you are probably looking for at least a 5.1 setup - and although you say you don't need the video connections you will find they all come with some variation of video switching. Some only have video passthrough while others can upscale analog to HDMI and upconvert the signal to whatever your display requires (called native resolution). Most every display sold today can do both of these tasks - and most do it better than an AVR.

What you need to do is focus on whether you want a 2 channel (two speakers) or 5.1/7.1 speaker setup - and post your thoughts on them.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I'd go with Ascend Sierra-1's and either a Cambridge Audio or NAD integrated from Audio Advisor. One of HK's stereo receivers would do just fine as well. This is unless you're looking at 5.1/7.1.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts