Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My current dvd player (Sony ns300) ,is choking on too many dvds and I want to use the opportunity to get a dvd megachnger. I have the Marantz Vp-12S1 projector, with the faroudja processing so I do not need progressive scan, or SDI output, just plain interlaced component. Because of the faroudja, I'm immune (I think) to the chrome bug. The dvd will be connected to my Marantz 8200 reviever, so I do not need any DD/DTS processing inside the DVD, or analog outputs. Just good digital audio transfer. I can also wait a little, if it is clear that a really good mega-changer is coming out real soon.

What is important to me, is

1. Image quality.

2. Having the option for enhanced blank (IRE 0) - to make the best usage of the marantz projector.

2. Reliability - I hate it when my current dvd player stutter :(

3. Price (can I have it under 1K, please)

Other nice to have things are:

1. DVD-A capability (but I can leave without it for a few more years) if this contradict the above requirements or make it much more expensive.

2. Rs232 port (as I plan to control it from the PC), but I can also use IR control, so this is not mandatory.

Is there anything else I should be aware of regarding useability of the dvd mega-changer ?

Thanks in advance for any input,

Cheers,

Amir

·
Registered
15,079 Posts
Have you investigated the Marantz VC8100 (300+1 disc) megachanger? It's a THX certified version of Pioneer's Elite DV-F07, which has a reasonable GUI as well as serial control. Integra and Onkyo sell their own variants of the same unit, but my impression is that the Marantz version is slightly better. It does not have DVD-A support, but it does provide a 96/24 digital PCM output when playing DAD audio DVD-V discs.

I've had a DV-F727 (the non-Elite version) for over two years with no problems.

I have the impression that they may be getting a little hard to come by, although there doesn't seem to be any replacement mentioned on the Marantz Web site.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Selden.

I looked into the Marantz 8100, and it seems it does not have RS232 input (only something called D-Bus). Anyone knows what it the this protocol ? Can I use this input to control the megachanger from my PC ?

If possible I'd like to hear some more input about megachangers. So please, if you have one and you are happy/unhappy, please share.

Cheers,

Amir

·
Registered
15,079 Posts
Amir,

Have you actually seen the back panel of a Marantz VC-8100? (I haven't, and I haven't found any pictures on the Web, so I can't be sure what connectors it has.)

D-Bus is the proprietary Marantz inter-device control connection. It uses the same RCA pin-jack hardware as is used by audio interconnections.

A DB-15 connector is used for the RS-232 serial port on most of the DV-F07 derivatives, so you might want to consider one of them instead:

Pioneer DV-F07

Integra DPT-1

Onkyo DV-M301

I'm pretty sure there was a picture of the back panel on the Integra Web site. Unfortunately their Web hosting service is unreachable right now.

·
Registered
10,457 Posts
PIONEER ELITE DV-F07 is swell a kool unit, looks and functionality and picture and sound!! and YUM YUM, those rosewood pannels that are hard to come by these days!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.