AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be regarded as the best interlaced dvd player that I can match with an Iscan Ultra. I bought a new Toshiba 2900 but am not impressed with it all. I can take it back and exchange for another- any suggestions? I thought I read that Sony is known for a good interlaced player?

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
260 Posts
This is a very interesting question and I will be very interested to hear some other views on the subject. I will give it a shot. The Iscan Ultra gives alot of flexibility and therefore certain machines that might otherwise be rejected can be utilized. For instance, the Pioneer DV-38a was a very well reviewed DVD Player just a couple of years ago. It had only two real problems: Pioneer's less than stellar de-interlacing(not an issue for you) and its chroma bug(not a problem either due to the Ultra's great Chroma Up-sampling error filter).

I would also point out that the owner review sites give this player outstanding reviews. Audiorevolution named it as a product of the year a couple of years ago. It has outstanding build quality; it weighs over 22 lbs.; it has Pioneer's beautiful Elite Urushi finish with wooden side-panels; it retailed just a few years ago for over $2000 and can be picked up on Ebay for about $400-500.

So in a nutshell, the 38a is a great DVD player with couple of problems that are eliminated by the Ultra. The 38a was also highly reviewed for its very good CD playback, and it also is a DVD-Audio player. It may be a perfect mate for the Iscan Ultra. Hope that this helps.

I am very curious to see other people's recommendations.

·
Registered
946 Posts
The Panasonic RV80 was widely considered as an excellent interlaced player about two years ago. I used it with an Iscan Pro with very good results. I'm sure you could find one for about $100.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i would very interested in suggestions for interlaced players as well.

i bought in early on the sony wega's and have a 36" xbr200 tube whose components are not wideband. :( (is it possible to replace the inputs with wideband connectors to allow a progressive input?)

i really want to add my name to the hd1000 waiting list, but i know it would go to waste with my crt. of course, i hope to upgrade the screen as soon as it makes sense to do so.....

i'm wondering if i should just go with a high-quality interlaced player for now and use an outboard scaler when i upgrade my display.

decisions, decisions....

bA

--

ps - this is my first posting to the avs forum. i've been secretly obtaining knowledge for nearly a year now. thanks to all those who have unknowingly provided me with fuel for dilemma.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by boyAfraid
i

i bought in early on the sony wega's and have a 36" xbr200 tube whose components are not wideband. :( (is it possible to replace the inputs with wideband connectors to allow a progressive input?)

Sorry, it doesn't work like this. Your TV has to have the circuitry and scanning capability to take the scan rate of 480p or other digital scan rates.

However, I do have an RV-80 looking for a good home if anyone is interested :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sam,

i just sent you a pm regarding the rv80.

how does this unit compare with other players you've used?

i read a review somewhere stating that this player provides a good interlaced picture because it utilizes a 54mhz processor rather than a 27mhz. any truth to this? don't all progressive players these days utilize a 54mhz processor?

also, i'm very interested in the audio quality of this player. in your opinion, would it make a good cd transport or would it be worth investing in a separate player/transport?

thanks again,

bA

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Isn't the Panasonic RP-91's interlaced output considered top notch?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.