AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for something 'decent' by way of a 42"-plasma that might actually be priced-down this season -- but we're stuck with a very 'bright-room'.

The Panny TC-P42S2 is the only model I've seen heavily-promoted of late that includes a functional AR [anyone know of another model, maybe one of the now-older 720p markdowns/'specials', that doesn't 'double as a LR-Mirror'? ].


I would sure hate to settle for an lcd just because major manufacturers can't toss-in $5. worth of reflection-inhibitor on any but their 'high-end' models...

suggestions, please.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesirtoo /forum/post/19557968


Looking for something 'decent' by way of a 42"-plasma that might actually be priced-down this season -- but we're stuck with a very 'bright-room'.

The Panny TC-P42S2 is the only model I've seen heavily-promoted of late that includes a functional AR [anyone know of another model, maybe one of the now-older 720p markdowns/'specials', that doesn't 'double as a LR-Mirror'? ].


I would sure hate to settle for an lcd just because major manufacturers can't toss-in $5. worth of reflection-inhibitor on any but their 'high-end' models...

suggestions, please.

Or, are there any in the 'modest-category'?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
The TC-P42X24 has an AR Screen, it's usually sold in Costco and is a 2009 model. If I recall correctly, it's a step-up from the X1 or X14. Specs look somewhat similar to that of the C2, both 720p models or 1024x768p.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefjerky_7 /forum/post/19566335


The TC-P42X24 has an AR Screen, it's usually sold in Costco and is a 2009 model. If I recall correctly, it's a step-up from the X1 or X14. Specs look somewhat similar to that of the C2, both 720p models or 1024x768p.

Actually the X24 is a current 2010 model (it replaced the 2009 X1) - it's basically a C2 but with an AR Coating and is only sold at Costco.


The C2 and U2 (like last year's C1 and U1) are the only models in their lineup that do not have any soft of AR coating or AR Filter. The S2 coating is decent, but the G25's is a huge step up (seems to be Kuro tech).


I've seen a few of the new 42" Panasonic LCD TVs in BB and they look pretty good as LCDs go what with their highly regarded IPS panel, and the screen is traditional matte and very non-reflective. I wouldn't count it out if the room is abnormally bright.


Here's a recent bright room plasma thread that may be of interest:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hp?t=1283985&=
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshredder27
The tc-42px24 you mean. Yeah Costco sells that pretty cheap but the S2 isn't much more.
Thanks for inputs/link...

Costco not an option for me [or Fry's, or most other B&M's, unfortunately], but the S2 is often on-sale for virtually the same price as many of the name-brand and 720p 'closeouts'. The G25 would certainly suit, but is way out of the pricerange I like to call "bang-for-buck"...

Aside from the Panny's [my personal preference], are there any other 'decent' and currently discounted models (from Samsung/Toshiba/Visio/etc.) that have parity with the S2 as far as PQ/AR? The current pricing of many 720p's is attractive but AR-coatings, per se, are seldom mentioned in Spec's.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesirtoo /forum/post/19568473


Thanks for inputs/link...

Costco not an option for me [or Fry's, or most other B&M's, unfortunately], but the S2 is often on-sale for virtually the same price as many of the name-brand and 720p 'closeouts'. The G25 would certainly suit, but is way out of the pricerange I like to call "bang-for-buck"...

Aside from the Panny's [my personal preference], are there any other 'decent' and currently discounted models (from Samsung/Toshiba/Visio/etc.) that have parity with the S2 as far as PQ/AR? The current pricing of many 720p's is attractive but AR-coatings, per se, are seldom mentioned in Spec's.

Well the only other non-Panasonics in the 42" size are one LG and two Samsungs. All Samsung says is "Ultra Clear reduces Reflections", and LG doesn't mention anything at all. Maybe look at customer reviews for these models and see if people are complaining or praising the anti-reflective properties.


LG 42PJ350:
http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/...tv-42PJ350.jsp


Samsung 430 and 450 series:
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top