AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping to get your opinions on the best IR controller to use with an htpc (ie. USB-IRT, IRTrans, A-tech)

On the same note, do any controllers allow the PC to be remotely powered on?

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
While possibly more limited, don't leave out the Moni!

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I only worked with USB-UIRT, and I love it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
galileo2000 - I am just starting to build my first HTPC and the USB-UIRT would be my choice too based on what I have read. What I haven't read is much about the placement of this little fellow. I plan on having everything in a rack with glass doors. My question is will this work if I just set it on top of one of the components in the rack or will it need to be placed somewhere's else outside the rack to get the siganl to the other components in the cabinet??? Curiosity is just killing me on this one! I know I will find out soon enough but was hoping to have a idea ahead of time for a change.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TheHammer -

i believe in order to get the signal to other components in your cabinet would be to use the external IR transmitter plug on the USB-UIRT.

galileo2000 -

are you able to power on your pc via remote with the USB-UIRT?

jkaiser -

i didn't mean to not include other IR controllers in my initial statement... i forgot to put ..., etc.) I'd love inputs on any controllers available, especially one that could power on the pc remotely~!

·
Registered
176 Posts
The easy was to power on your PC is

1) get an IR keyboard/mouse

2) Enable PowerOnKeyboard in the bios

3) Have the remote learn the spacebar code from the keyboard

Now you can power up the PC from the remote except that your keyboard IR receiver is getting the signal

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
TheHammer,

Take a look at my gallery by clicking on "gallery" button.

USB-UIRT sits on the left side of the d.Vine 4 machine on the top.

So far I didn't even have to use emitters, everything works fine and my tower is next to my Sony 61HS10.

My living room is not very big though.

Bulgogi777,

I wouldn't know because my IR keyboard/mouse combo (ACK 580) is my remote, and I wake up PC's by using Hot Key (Ctrl-F1). I believe you can make USB-UIRT learn this combo and then teach your remote, but I haven't tried it so far. Keep in mind one thing though: some mb REQUIRE you to move the jumper into "Enable" position, otherwise it won't work.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thankyou galileo2000! Exactly what I needed to know. However, after viewing those pics I now realize my home theatre set-up pales in comparison! Hehehehe. Oh well ya' gotta start somewhere! My room is only about 20x14 so not too big either. I am really staring down on my unfinished basement as the next hooorah if I can get get the WAF up high enough with my first attempt at this new HTPC. It will be tough too because I like to tinker and it needs to be simplistic for her to deal with. Although when the Denon/Toshiba/KEF's went in 2 years ago it has been a big hit so far with her and we usaully have one night a month now we have a movie night with friends. The research that I am doing now while I am waiting for the go ahead to start purchasing my HTPC parts is on tying this all together with a decent remote that will not cost me my first born! I really liked the Pronto's except for their price but this whole idea of a Wi-Fi PDA has really got me going right now. Plus I am still on the fence over a front-end but I am leaning heavily to either the Cinemar stuff or X-lobby. Got a copy of MCE from a Microsoft developer where I work but was not that impressed. Been playing around with front ends on a dual boot I have on my PC which has an AIW 8500 in it But I think my twin P4 Xeons is a bit overkill for a HTPC!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by galileo2000
I only worked with USB-UIRT, and I love it.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TheHammer
Thankyou galileo2000! Exactly what I needed to know. However, after viewing those pics I now realize my home theatre set-up pales in comparison! Hehehehe. Oh well ya' gotta start somewhere!
TheHammer,

Thanks for the compliment :) it took plenty of time, labor, not to mention money to put it together and AVS forum was a huge help.

USB-UIRT is a dream device and Jon Rhees is just great.

Ot of topic, I don't use any front ends. I solved WAF by assembling HTPC for her in the kitchen where she can watch DirecTV, DVD's or browse the Internet, or anything her soul desires.

As I mentioned, I use IR keyboard / mouse combo as my remote. I "might" add a PC-oriented remote (not Pronto) just for the fun of it. It should have just a few buttons: PC On, PC off, Play DVD, Stop DVD, DirecTV (On/Off/Channel), accessDTV (On/Off/Channel). I don't think it is a big challenge using Girder and then anybody ( significant other included) will be able to use it.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by galileo2000
I solved WAF by assembling HTPC for her in the kitchen where she can watch DirecTV, DVD's or browse the Internet, or anything her soul desires.
LMAO!!!!

If I had known it was that easy to keep the little lady in the kithcen all this time I would have been building HTPC's a loooooong time ago!

Thanks sooooo much for all that valuable input!

·
Registered
452 Posts
OK....need some eduction. Have looked everywhere, but I can't seem to find what "WAF" means. Someone please clarify. Thanks.....hope not something simple that I should have figured out.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
WAF - Wife Acceptance Factor

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I think we need to post a USB-UIRT Sticky somewhere. I see these questions asked many times.

I have had the USB-UIRT for a year, and it is the most reliable component in my htpc ;)

It has no problem controlling devices while sitting on top of them pointing out into the room. And the inclusion of a ir blaster port on it means that for the very low percentage of users that have trouble with reception, you can add a $5 Ir blaster from smarthome.com and you will have no problems. I added a set of 2 ir blasters to mine, simply because my projector was out of the line of site and was intermittant in picking up ir from the USB-UIRT without it. I have been meaning to order a TIRA as well to compare them, but have not so far. The USB-UIRT is a rock solid item that is a must for the htpc crowd

·
Registered
43 Posts
Warren,

Thanks for the additional info. The placement factor was my biggest concern. As far as going with the USB-UIRT I had no doubts in it's reliability. This fourm is the absolute best when looking for rock-solid tried and true devices for the HTPC enthusiast! You can learn more here in a matter of days than in months elsewhere!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.