AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have pretty much decided that my next projector will be a JVC DILA unit of some kind. I am a bit confused as to which model I should be looking for however. I'm not opposed to buying used if a previous model might work better in my situation. Just some background so you know what I'm working with.

1. Will be using a 2.35 or 2.37:1 scope screen, acoustically transparent, 127"W

2. Will be starting out with an older Prismasonic H1200R anamorphic lens for horizontal stretch.

3. Plan to continue using my DVDO VP50 Pro for scaling of the image vertically before the lens.

4. My room is small. The throw distance will be about 15-16' to screen.

5. I'm coming from an older CRT projector which I love and a 16:9, 120" diagonal screen. Basically, I mention this to make the point that I know anything I go with is going to be brighter than what I have now and I'm pretty satisfied with the light level on CRT.

6. I think 3D would be cool to have but it's not at the top of my list by any means. I'm all about the best 2D image I can get and my CRT has been calibrated by the best so I don't want to take a step backward.

7. Regarding image, black level and life-like color are king for me. I'm leaning towards the DILA projectors because I feel they will look most like what I am used to with CRT.

Any suggestions on what I should be looking for from JVC? I guess the only thing I didn't mention was budget. I am replacing pretty much everything in my setup so I have to be careful with money here. Let's say under $4000 which I know is going to limit the field. This is why I mention that used is a consideration for me, especially if any of those older models is still considered bench mark for image.

·
Premium Member
4,895 Posts
I don't know what RS35's are going or if you can find one but I think it's possibly the best projector JVC has produced yet.

The JVC RS40 is by most accounts a solid performer and has 3D to boot.

·
Registered
254 Posts
As a fellow CRTer, I saw the name on the thread and had to look. I am in the same boat and will be interested in what you decide and what you think.

I too thought JVC would be the only one for me but my suggestion is to consider the Sony HW-30 and it is in the price range. You might be able to get a demo of it at a Best Buy Magnolia store. I demoed it there and it was quite good but the screen they had, Stewart Firehawk SST (my est. 0.6 gray with 1.8 gain) made evaluation of brightness and black level a little difficult compared to my 1.0 white screen at home.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts
Your screen is 127" wide, not diagonal? What is the gain, 1.0? The brightest mode for the RS35 is 726. With 12% boost for the A-lens that is 13fl with a new lamp. Are you sure this is going to be brighter than your CRT once the lamp has some age on it.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 /forum/post/20900062

Your screen is 127" wide, not diagonal? What is the gain, 1.0? The brightest mode for the RS35 is 726. With 12% boost for the A-lens that is 13fl with a new lamp. Are you sure this is going to be brighter than your CRT once the lamp has some age on it.

I don't recall exactly but I think I was getting maybe 7 or 8fl at most with my CRT. Yeah, the viewable width of the screen would be 126.9" and 54" high. Gain is just 1.0 for most of what I have been looking at. Something like this http://www.visualapex.com/Projector-...1W-A1080&AR=HT My room is very dark, I have total light control. I don't necessarily expect the JVC to be that much brighter but I would hope that it could at least keep up with my old projector.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Call AVScience and get on the waiting list for JVC's RS40 replacement, whatever that is. Then wait a week to hear about what you just ordered when JVC announces their new model lineup at Cedia. Then in November you can start sending weekly PM's to AVScience asking if you'll have your pj by Christmas.

That's your best option. I'd bet Haflich's paycheck on it...

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Just double checking - 127" wide 2.35:1 measures 127" x 54" = 6863 sq in = 47.66 sq ft; 726 lumens / 47.66 = 15.23 ft/lamberts? Maybe I missed something there though?

Not sure I follow on the anamorphic lens gain - intuitively thinking you lose some output if you zoom but gain back most but not all with the lens, so kind of nets out?

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm surprised to hear this talk about not being bright enough. Digital guys are always talking about how our CRT's are too dim and don't have enough punch. I feel pretty certain that just about anything I go with will be brighter than what I have. Maybe I need to see a demo first.

·
Premium Member
4,895 Posts
IIRC, my RS35 measured at around 800 lumens at D65. I'm using it on a 130" wide 2.4:1 screen with unity gain. It is bright enough for me. In transitions from black to bright, it can actually be painful on the eyes.

My calculations for the ftl if using the 726 was 15ftl in 2.35:1 and 20ftl in 16:9.

edit: Just checked the Greg Rogers review and he measured 872 lumens at D65 for min zoom, iris open.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/20900277

Just double checking - 127" wide 2.35:1 measures 127" x 54" = 6863 sq in = 47.66 sq ft; 726 lumens / 47.66 = 15.23 ft/lamberts? Maybe I missed something there though?

Not sure I follow on the anamorphic lens gain - intuitively thinking you lose some output if you zoom but gain back most but not all with the lens, so kind of nets out?

Look at it as a 1.78 screen that is 127" wide for screen area. That is the image the projector will be shooting out. Then add about 12% to the brightness due to the A-lens removing the black bars.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans /forum/post/20900889

IIRC, my RS35 measured at around 800 lumens at D65. I'm using it on a 130" wide 2.4:1 screen with unity gain. It is bright enough for me. In transitions from black to bright, it can actually be painful on the eyes.

My calculations for the ftl if using the 726 was 15ftl in 2.35:1 and 20ftl in 16:9.

edit: Just checked the Greg Rogers review and he measured 872 lumens at D65 for min zoom, iris open.

I used Projector Reviews numbers because OPer will be close to mid zoom.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have been reading about motion blur problems with the RS20. Is this common to all the JVC models? That's something I haven't experienced with my CRT. Also, I'm curious what most of you JVC owners are using for a refresh rate. I use a scaler to do 72hz output from my 24p Bluray sources.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, these JVC models are all over the place. For a short time I thought I wanted 3D but it doesn't sound like it's ready for prime time. I would rather have rock solid 2D first. Have been reading a lot about the RS20 and it sounds like it has everything I want. Just curious if these have the lamp life issues that current models seem to be having? I don't relish the thought of having to replace lamps every 400 hours.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I found an RS20 on Ebay a few weeks ago and decided to take a chance. Big mistake. It ended up being a scam and the seller's account must have been hacked or something. I had already paid through Paypal but the money was unclaimed so I cancelled. Fortunately, I got my money back...

·
Registered
15,488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans /forum/post/20900889

IIRC, my RS35 measured at around 800 lumens at D65.

These numbers sound about right. The projector calculator I just designed assumes 840 lumens at D65 in LAMP HIGH on a BRAND NEW lamp at closest throw, 750 d65 lumens at mid-Zoom on Lamp High, or just short of 600 lumens on low lamp at closest throw. Numbers based on averaging out multiple results.

Thanks for this post because it actually matched my averages before I saw it,

so I think I am satisfied with my RS-35 lumens estimates for my calculator, still trying to fix the others

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy /forum/post/20970609

These numbers sound about right. The projector calculator I just designed assumes 840 lumens at D65 in LAMP HIGH on a BRAND NEW lamp at closest throw, 750 d65 lumens at mid-Zoom on Lamp High, or just short of 600 lumens on low lamp at closest throw. Numbers based on averaging out multiple results.

If you are zooming for the 2.35 screen the Foot Lambert calculation is the same for a 2.35 screen as it is for a 1.78 screen of the same width. You are projecting the same area, just part of it is black bars. By adding an A-lens to the 2.35 you gain around 12%. A lot of people make the mistake of calculating the area of the 2.35 screen when they should be using a 1.78 screen of the same width.

·
Registered
15,488 Posts
I would get a JVC RS-45 if you wish to wait for shipping time, I would not buy JVC's used in general unless you find a REALLY good price on one that is heavily discounted. I would probably wait, but that's just me. They ship in Dec. I think.

Otherwise, the HD250 is still a good buy if AVS has any left and you prefer something that ships now.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.