AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you know that the major cost in producing the preamp for a seperate or reciever is in the software..(very costly )

Your best value is

buy yourself a lower level receiver from HK , Marantz etc.....buy the lowest priced unit with preamp outs.....then buy yourself a behemoth like a Sherbourn 200watts per channel all channels driven...(has two power cords)

You get the advantage of the pre/pro software which is in the whole line of receivers so price is low....however the amp is so far superior even the highest end receiver ...you will be amazed and have more money for more stuff

Regards,

JOHN

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
yup, that's what I'm doing...HK 635 as pre/pro for a Rotel power amp. nice post, but I don't think its that well kept of a secret. a search on "receiver as pre/pro" should turn up a ton of posts on it.

:)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abigpicture
buy yourself a lower level receiver from HK , Marantz etc.....buy the lowest priced unit with preamp outs.....then buy yourself a behemoth like a Sherbourn 200watts per channel all channels driven...(has two power cords)
What about the quality of DACs used in low end receivers? Does low vs high quality DACs make much difference in sound quality?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abigpicture
Many of you know that the major cost in producing the preamp for a seperate or reciever is in the software..(very costly )

Your best value is

You get the advantage of the pre/pro software which is in the whole line of receivers so price is low....however the amp is so far superior even the highest end receiver ...you will be amazed and have more money for more stuff

Regards,

JOHN
Taking it one step further get that cheap receiver with preouts then saddle up one of these ultra cheap pro amps from Crown, Carvin, etc. It still sounds excellent.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
DAC quality over the years has considerably improved in "low end" receivers. The low end receivers of today have better dacs than the ultra high end gear ten years ago. Those who want the super cutting edge will not be satisfied with the plan described in this thread.

I personally bought the panasonic saxr55 and now the saxr57 for both good amplification and decent d-a conversion. The xr55 package on the whole sounds quite good for the meager $220 I paid. I don't think there is a better VALUE out there... I am making no claims that it will beat higher priced gear but it is at least equal to other gear that I have had in my system from more typical manufacturers..

·
Registered
383 Posts
Any "model number" recommendations on a cheap dependable amp to run my center and fronts? I am also running 6ohm bookshelf speakers. Just thought I would make note of it incase it matters.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinje
Any "model number" recommendations on a cheap dependable amp to run my center and fronts? I am also running 6ohm bookshelf speakers. Just thought I would make note of it incase it matters.
I have heard both the Crown 402 and the QSC 850, both are two channel, very cheap (less than 300 bucks) and I was very impressed. This is from someone running a 2000 dollar Anthem MCA 50 (in case it matters).

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg
I have heard both the Crown 402 and the QSC 850, both are two channel, very cheap (less than 300 bucks) and I was very impressed. This is from someone running a 2000 dollar Anthem MCA 50 (in case it matters).
impressed as in - "i wish I bought pro-amps for the same performance (or better) than this anthem amp"?

just trying to gauge the comparison ...

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbit
impressed as in - "i wish I bought pro-amps for the same performance (or better) than this anthem amp"?

just trying to gauge the comparison ...
Well that's the reason I mentioned it so you would know what I normally listen to.

Let's just say I was "floored" when I heard this stuff. I had never heard one of these Pro-Amps before but now I know why all these people buy these things.

For the money they are very very good. It's certainly something to consider if the money is tight. Check out the threads on these things in this forum especially the "New amp is making me grin" one.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg
Trade in your speakers for pro speakers and you will be even more impressed. The pro speakers will beat any of the highest end speakers in authority, punch, and the effortless sound is amazing. For example the Yorkville speakers with 15" woofer mounted on a stand (yeah I heard them playing at my brother's home).

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
This is true...to a point. At a certain point, other factors start to come into play. For example, the basic preamp stage. Try running 30' of interconnect with most cheap recievers for a distributed amp setup and then switch over to a top notch preamp with a serious preamp stage and you'll immediately hear the difference in dynamics, bass response, etc.

There are also other intangibles with a higher end preamp you won't get with an entry level receiver, such as more advanced bass management, XLR balanced outputs for really long interconnect runs (or hooking up pro amps), lower noise floor, better analog stage (for those with analog sources) and at a certain budget point, the upgradability and longevity factor.

I find the sweet spot for recievers is about the $700-1000 range and would probably pick one over most AV preamps in the $2K range since they are essentially the same boards. Above about $3K, you start to pick up feature differences and about $4K, there are definite sonic differences.

Same thing with amps. I like pro amps. I sell the Crown and Behringer amps, both offer great value. But comparing them to a Bryston...sorry, different league. Value wise, no doubt about it, the pro amps are kick butt values as long as you deal with the fan issues. Don't forget to factor in getting some CleanBoxes to run the pro amps since chances are if you use RCA to XLR adapters you'll get noise (and a lack of dynamics since the output voltage on most reciever's preamp outputs is low).

·
Registered
601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar
I am making no claims that it will beat higher priced gear but it (Panasonic) is at least equal to other gear that I have had in my system from more typical manufacturers..
FWIW Panasonic has been in the business a long time, they just used to distribute everything under the house "Technics" brand. :)

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Same thing with amps. I like pro amps. I sell the Crown and Behringer amps, both offer great value. But comparing them to a Bryston...sorry, different league. Value wise, no doubt about it, the pro amps are kick butt values as long as you deal with the fan issues. Don't forget to factor in getting some CleanBoxes to run the pro amps since chances are if you use RCA to XLR adapters you'll get noise (and a lack of dynamics since the output voltage on most reciever's preamp outputs is low).

Crown offers many products, it's too generic to say that Bryston is > Crown. Which models of comparison? Why not compare a Crown amp in the same price range as the Bryston?

Or, why not compare a Crown amp that cost 1/2 the price of a Bryston? Why does everyone want to compare the lowest cost proamp, then compare to a very expensive home amp, then form conclusions that one is in a different league?

I can't think of any scenario in which a Bryston amp is guaranteed

to beat a Crown amp who is in the same league.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Has anyone tried using good quality subwoofer cables to connect an amp to their receiver ? I just happen to have some extras and was wondering how it might affect the sound, if at all ??

thx

Ron

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundood
I find the sweet spot for recievers is about the $700-1000 range and would probably pick one over most AV preamps in the $2K range since they are essentially the same boards. Above about $3K, you start to pick up feature differences and about $4K, there are definite sonic differences.

There is definitely a sonic difference in the AVP 700 and a $4k processor. The 700 sounds better.

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
Anyone here or know of any one who has used a Crown K2 in a home ? Was it any good and what were the drawbacks ? Looks good on crown website.

Thanks,

Glenee

·
Registered
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonstev
Nice thread. H/K AVR-235 with QSC RMX 850. Just awesome.
If you have an SPL meter, would you mind measuring the fan noise 1 ft in front of the RMX 850?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee
Anyone here or know of any one who has used a Crown K2 in a home ? Was it any good and what were the drawbacks ? Looks good on crown website.

Thanks,

Glenee

I used one for a weekend.

The drawback? You'll blow your speakers if you don't have self control.....

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMAN21
There is definitely a sonic difference in the AVP 700 and a $4k processor. The 700 sounds better.
This made me smile, I run a 700 in my HT room!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.