AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am recording various tutorial videos where I am teaching topics using a whiteboard and with me speaking. I have been using the default recorder that comes as part of my HD video camera, but the sound quality is fuzzy and picks up general background noise.

I am hoping for a completely clean and crisp recording quality, so those that watch the video are not distracted by anything other than what I may be saying.

On searching the web, it seems that a lavalier microphone may be the best option for this requirement, but I have no clue which to buy, since there are so many possibilities out there. My budget is £100.

Thank you very much

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajen Nagar  /t/1415839/best-lavalier-microphone-for-recording-spoken-voice-in-tutorial-videos#post_22135263

I am recording various tutorial videos where I am teaching topics using a whiteboard and with me speaking. I have been using the default recorder that comes as part of my HD video camera, but the sound quality is fuzzy and picks up general background noise.

I am hoping for a completely clean and crisp recording quality, so those that watch the video are not distracted by anything other than what I may be saying.

On searching the web, it seems that a lavalier microphone may be the best option for this requirement, but I have no clue which to buy, since there are so many possibilities out there. My budget is £100.

Depending on the distances involved, your best choice for your application might be a USB microphone and record with your PC, or a portable digital recorder like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-H1-Portable-Digital-Recorder/dp/B003QKBVYK

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
USB microphone? Would that be a lavalier, or just the standard held-type mic? The camera is just over a metre away from me. But I want the recorder to pick up only my voice and no background noise at all, although the area of recording is general completely silent anyway. It's just that background fuzz comes up in the recordings, which I want to try to remove.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajen Nagar  /t/1415839/best-lavalier-microphone-for-recording-spoken-voice-in-tutorial-videos#post_22135319

USB microphone? Would that be a lavalier, or just the standard held-type mic? The camera is just over a metre away from me. But I want the recorder to pick up only my voice and no background noise at all, although the area of recording is general completely silent anyway. It's just that background fuzz comes up in the recordings, which I want to try to remove.

Lavs aren't all that great when it comes to rejecting noise, as compared to a hand held or stand mic that you can put far closer to your mouth. Lavs also have inherent fidelity issues because they tend to pick up the external resonances of your body. In modern applications, lavs have been largely replaced by head-attached microphones like this one:

http://www.microphonemadness.com/products/mmpsm.htm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
would i be able to place the stood mic around 0.5 meters away from me and for it to still sound clear, as I dont want it to be seen in the video. The advantage of the lavalier was that ist is not easily seen, whereas the headpiece would be quite intrusive, although a good option.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajen Nagar  /t/1415839/best-lavalier-microphone-for-recording-spoken-voice-in-tutorial-videos#post_22135446

would i be able to place the stood mic around 0.5 meters away from me and for it to still sound clear, as I dont want it to be seen in the video.

Half meter? No sweat.

Quote:
The advantage of the lavalier was that it is not easily seen, whereas the headpiece would be quite intrusive, although a good option.

I know what you mean, but the headpiece mics I showed you an example of are often used for video and live performances. They are so small that they virtually disappear when shooting from a reasonable distance. One sees them or not (or just barely) on many DVDs of live musical performances and seminars. These are not the highly visible old school headpiece mics that say Madonna used to use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help

I am recording the videos however, from a 1 meter distance so the headpiece would be quite visible. Would a H1 recorder be sufficient to pick up my voice clearly? And with the USB microphone are you sure it would not pick up any background noise, with it being around 1 to 2 meters away from me? Would you have any recommendations for USB microphones for such a requirement?

Thanks again

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajen Nagar  /t/1415839/best-lavalier-microphone-for-recording-spoken-voice-in-tutorial-videos#post_22138952

Thanks for the help

I am recording the videos however, from a 1 meter distance so the headpiece would be quite visible. Would a H1 recorder be sufficient to pick up my voice clearly? And with the USB microphone are you sure it would not pick up any background noise, with it being around 1 to 2 meters away from me? Would you have any recommendations for USB microphones for such a requirement?

Thanks again

The USB microphones and the digital recorder are not hindered by their format. They will do pretty much the same thing as a similar microphone of a more conventional nature would do.

Based on good experiences with the basic mic as a conventional microphone, I would favor the Samson C01-USB. I use several of them, mounted in shock mounts to avoid picking up vibrations from the floor or table they are sitting on. This mic is a bit more directional than most and so it is likely to be less sensitive to common sources of acoustical noise.

·
Banned
18,829 Posts
Using a PC or a sound recorder will sharply complicate your workflow. You should first try options for an external mic for your camcorder well before resorting to these external methods which require separate capture and syncing with your video. Lav mics are perfectly acceptable and most common method solving the problem you have. Do you know what kind of Mic input you have on your camcorder?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts