AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a HTPC which is currently connected to a 52" Samsung LN52A630. This will be going into a different room so I will be upgrading my main media TV.

Unfortunately the HTPC I have does not have HDMI capability. I suppose this could be upgraded, but I'm trying to keep it as silent as possible, thus a video card with a fan is not desirable over the built-in graphics adapter.

What options do I still have for a great tv with VGA input in 2014?

I'd like the option of 3d (not with my VGA hook-up obviously, but with a different source).

At Costco the other day, the only ones I could identify were the Sharp Aquos TVs seen here:
http://www.costco.com/all-tvs.html?refine=30212%2b13881

They were all 120hz with no 3d capabilities. I can't say I was particularly impressed with the Aquos.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I'm guessing the answer is none?

Maybe getting a fanless pci-e graphics card is the way to go.

·
Registered
177 Posts
You are probably better off just getting a new graphics card. There are VGA to HDMI adapters out there, but it might actually be cheaper getting a new video card. Given that your card doesn't have DVI (if it does, just get a DVI to HDMI dongle), it's probably ancient.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for commenting, I agree. No need to shoehorn my TV (which will last for many many years) just to fit my aging HTPC.

The HTPC motherboard is one of these "salvage some of your old parts and build a 'new' computer!" type, so it's quite barebones. The built-in graphics adapter (Intel GMA3100) features only a VGA out, no HDMI or DVI.

This Radeon 6450 fanless I found is a pretty decent deal, especially if it's only for HD video:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102933

·
Banned
5,023 Posts
The Sapphire HD 6450 fanless only uses about EDIT : ~ 5 watts idling and 15 watts max it will work with most stock Power supplies without issues and will playback 720p or 1080p excellent

best to download the latest drivers and catalyst control center from AMD and use those . It will get its power from PCIe slot so no 12V molex is needed.

you *may have to disable the on board graphics in the BIOS.

Reactions: Waylo

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister  /t/1520759/best-lcd-still-with-vga-support#post_24440024

The Radeon HD 6450 fanless only uses about ~ 20 watts average and 35 watts max it will work with most stock Power supplies without issues and will playback 720p or 1080p excellent

best to download the latest drivers and catalyst control center from AMD and use those . It will get its power from PCIe slot so no 12V molex is needed.

you *may have to disable the on board graphics in the BIOS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozirry  /t/1520759/best-lcd-still-with-vga-support#post_24439878

Anything is better then the intel thing! lol Not sure of your computer expertise...but hopefully it is compatible with your motherboard, power supply, etc.

Haha, *almost* anything is better than the Intel integrated graphics. For the >5 years before my mobo failed this summer, I ran my HTPC with a fanless Nvidia 5200 FX. A 10 year old AGP graphics card! It was great! Unless you wanted 1080 at all, or 720 without lag. Then not so much

Thanks for the power consumption estimates on the Radeon. With my smaller, 'silent' power supply I do have to worry about these things. The manual I found listed 500W which is a bit much for my needs, and likely more for other models of the 6450.

·
Banned
5,023 Posts

Quote:
The manual I found listed 500W which is a bit much for my needs, and likely more for other models of the 6450

Nonsense don't believe it .

In my daily driver I'm running the fan less Sapphire HD 6450 1 GB 64 bit in an HP slimline with a Phenom II x4 945 95 watt CPU it has the stock 220w power supply the fans almost never spin up to audible levels unless I'm dycrypting/encoding a DVD for archiving or burning or something like that even then only briefly .

I also installed a dedicated sound card and bigger CPU cooler (it was originally an Athlon II x2 CPU ) it runs fine ~ 2 yrs now no issues

HD 6450 plays back 1080p just as good as PS3 at least for movies and videos and DVD. Not a Gamer card at all though but excellent low power solution for HTPC. In fact I'm typing on it right now and playing a 1080p HD Video to a 40" HDTV 2nd screen via HDMI at the same time .

The Saphphire fanless HD 6450 idles at 5 watts and peaks out at 15 watts (probably 3D gaming ) . It uses 9 watts playing a Blue ray and 13 watts average even with multi monitor
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_6450_Passive/25.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.