AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the anamorphic scene (I've posted in this thread a couple of times) and I'm looking for a "best bang for the buck" in the $500 range. I now own a Benq w6000 with a throw ratio of around 1.7. Any suggestions? If so, anyone know of a good place to look? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Used... Here or Videogon . Com I started with a Panamorph B stock vertical compression lens for that price.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
That lens is small. Will it actually work a TR of just 1.7:1? Remembering that the BenQ has a very recessed lens.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbn008 /forum/post/19621196

Thanks for the link, but i need a horizontal stretch lens for my setup.

Then there is nothing below about $2K that will give you what you need.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray
I've seen some rebranded Panamorphs on ebay and audio/videogon (Optoma) selling cheap(er). Don't think they ever came close to $500 though, sorry.
And they won't. A VC lens can work off just two BK7 prisms. This approach is seriously limited once you use it for a HE lens and once you add correction for CA and astigmatism, the price goes way up. I can't even make a corrected HE prisms lens for $500

·
Registered
626 Posts
You can always go the DIY route, but its just gonna make you want a real lens even more, and by then you are past the point of no return because you've already experienced how great an anamorphic lens is in your home. I'd say start saving, Alan Gougar says Prismasonic has a good product coming out at a good price, but its no $500 lens. However,as far as the price of lenses are concerned, its going to be very reasonable.

-Sean

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230-SEAN /forum/post/19631691

You can always go the DIY route, but its just gonna make you want a real lens even more, and by then you are past the point of no return because you've already experienced how great an anamorphic lens is in your home. I'd say start saving, Alan Gougar says Prismasonic has a good product coming out at a good price, but its no $500 lens. However,as far as the price of lenses are concerned, its going to be very reasonable.

-Sean

The lens you are referring to will be in the 1000's, though compared to other lens in it's category it will be a bargin (assuming the performance is there).

·
Registered
387 Posts
You've really got to keep your eyes open for used and move quickly when you find one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I bought a uh-50 that was around 500$. its an expansion lens, but i don't think they make it anymore. I was happy with mine, but i'm by no means a videophile.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Zooming should work and cheap ol' prisms work, too

Anything works OK for the moment, and soon enough native 2.35 projectors will show up and you won't have an odd contraption hanging from your ceiling.

Very likely 2.35 projectors will start at high cost, and only those folks who already sank money into Cinemascope adapters will buy them. Thanks to those big spenders, you'll have a chance to buy great adapters for $500.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emf /forum/post/19715274

Very likely 2.35 projectors will start at high cost, and only those folks who already sank money into Cinemascope adapters will buy them. Thanks to those big spenders, you'll have a chance to buy great adapters for $500.

Having actually seen one of those overpriced Scope projectors in action, I think anamorphic adapters will be around for quite some time yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts