Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My current set up is:

Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver

Onix x-series speakers

Bic H100 sub

I was wondering what you guys thought was the best listening mode for TV shows (broadcast in stereo or mono, with no dolby surround encoding).

I find that Dolby Pro-Logic II Movie seems to concentrate too much of the sound in the center channel, making it seem like there's only one speaker. Dolby Pro-Logic II Music seems to be a bit better in that the sound is split across all the speakers more. What about DTS Neo? Does that need any special encoding or can it take a regular 2 channel stereo source?

Any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
488 Posts
this is really a personal preference question you are asking. however, does the 605 has an "all channel stereo" mode where the same sound is output to all speakers at the same time?

i have an older yamaha (htr-5280) that has a 5-channel stereo mode (it is only a 5.1 receiver) and use that for listening to tv shows. i enjoy that mode and my wife loves it. I actually just got an emotiva DMR-1 to replace the yamaha but there wasn't that much of a sound difference and it lacked an effective "all-channel stereo" mode (for watching tv and music), so i'm sending it back.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Always DD 5.1 if it come sup that way by default.

DPLIIx movie if it is not music oriented and I suspect it has some real pro-logic type surround in it.

Multi-ch Music or DTS Neo:6 if it's music oriented and at least stereo.

Multi-ch Movie if it's just stereo (does not really have a pro-logic level surround) and is dialog oriented.

Circle Surround Mono - if it's really just mono.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts