Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys

I wish to add a few to my collection as it's imho one of the genres that screams for wide screen home theater projections and wonder what you guys have, or recommend for westerns on dvds, focusing on the image quality (and sound quality) and quality of the movie also . But firstly, your technical opinion on image and sound.

I have: ( I don't say they are the best looking and sounding, not all "real" westerns of course )

SILVERADO

GOOD BAD UGLY

MAGNIFICIENT SEVEN

TRUE GRIT

GLORY

DANCES WITH WOLVES

RIO BRAVO

AMERICAN OUTLAWS DTS

QUICK AND THE DEAD

LAST OF THE MOHICANS DTS

THE PATRIOT

TOMBSTONE

RIDE WITH THE DEVIL

MASK OF ZORRO

PALE RIDER

BUTCH CASSIDY AND SUNDANCE KID

LONG RIDERS

on ld: collector boxes of THE ALAMO and THE WILD BUNCH ( both awesome collectors )

cheers

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The one thats missing from your collection that has a decent transfer is The Outlaw Josey Whales. Clint! 5.1 though not super impressive 5.1

Maverick isn't bad looking and probably your best bet thats not on your list!

Texas Rangers wasn't too bad worth checking out. Decent Pic but some EE

The Magnificent Seven

Johny Depp did a decent one called Dead Man B/w though

you throw away quality with 80% of the westerns released because they were not anamorphic and tend to look like LD transfers. Also sound is problematic on almost anything thats not been filmed in the past 15 years.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I think "Last of the Dogmen" with Barbara Hershey and Tom Baringer is a georgious settings western

c.

For A Few Dollars More Eastwood

Fistful of Dollars C. Eastwood

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly C.Eastwood

Alverez Kelly William Holden

Pale Rider C. Eastood

Horse Soldiers J. Wayne W. Holden

Breakheart Pass has good sounds of old Locomotives in it with Charles Bronson

Silverado Scot Glen, Kevin Kostner

Yellowstone Kelly Clint Walker, Ed Burns

Valdez is Coming Burt Lancaster

Lone Ranger and the City of Gold C.Moore

Night of the Grizzly Clint Walker

White Buffalo C. Bronson

Some of my favorites that I own. :)

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The Searchers and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance both look very good and Ford gives you something worth looking at. The Searchers was shot in Monument Vally in Glorious Technicolor in VistaVision by Winton Hoch, a DP who had worked at Technicolor on the development of the 3-color process and had a profound understanding of it. Valance was shot in B&W by Bill Clothier and Ford was going back somewhat to a moody, shadowy 1920s Germanic look, incredible B&W that showsup the Coen brothers for the posuers they are. Both movies are mono but so what, these are argueably the 2 best westerns ever made (and yes, I do love Rio Bravo and ElDorado, Tombstone too). Funny how you don't care about surround sound and bombastic explosions when the movie itself is so good. Why you can watch lots of Ford pictures (talking pictures I mean) without any sound at all. Must'a been all those silent pictures he made. The Searchers especially is a very important movie and has had an influence on Scorcese, Milius, Spielburg and Lucas, among others.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Rippolito----God, I hate Silverado almost as much as I hate High Noon. It's so self-conscious and has a modern sensibility, not a monment of the picture is believable to me. Not rapping you buddy, just the picture. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
David600--One you need to add is Stagecoach the 1939 version directed by John Ford.

Tom Brennan--I agree with you about Silverado, although it is a good Saturday matinee type movie, but IMHO I respectfully disagree with you about High Noon.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OJW ? that's an idea.

Silverado: love it, sorry. Columbia should do a superbit.

But I also adore ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST or BIG JAKE ( both not yet on dvds ) or RIO BRAVO, with a few Clint Eastwood ones. these are my western tastes :)

I don't connect easily to the black & white older westerns.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hank527

Johny Depp did a decent one called Dead Man B/w though
Dead Man runs counter to the Western genre in many ways... I recommend the film to anyone into Westerns that has not seen it.

G

·
Registered
429 Posts
Although not much in the picture and sound department, Unforgiven is one of the best "Western" films I've ever seen.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I'd have to say that the Searchers is probably the quintessential widescreen western. Lots of long shots, scenery and a truely great performance by John Wayne. One of the better ones every made. The video quality is darn good for a 40+ year film, not much to the sound.

Unforgiven may be my personal favorite in this genre and is a breathtaking film. I've seen it more than once in the theater but have not played my DVD yet. Sorry to hear about the above post.

John Moschella

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I like The Unforgiven by John Huston. Sorta The Searchers turned inside-out with the Texians raising a Kiowa girl whom the Kiowa want back. Great cast; Burt Lancaster, Audrey Hepburn, Charles Bickford, Lillian Gish and Audie Murphy in his best role as a murderously Indian-hating Texian. Great line by John Saxon as a horse breaker; "Ain't a man that can't be throwed but ain't a horse that can't be rode". Weird score by Tiomkin. Was out on a nice widescrenn LD, you guys still do LD right? :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
What about Shane, though it is not widescreen the photograpy is great.

On June 4th one of the best westerns of all time is coming out on DVD and that is She Wore A Yellow Ribbon. This movie is directed by John Ford and stars John Wayne in one of his best performances. The color film is just beautiful.

Have been waiting for Ride The High Country to come to DVD, filmed in the mountains of California in cinemascope. It has a great story and fine acting by Joel McCrea and Randolph Scott.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Howsabout these (probably not on DVD, but remember the titles):

In B&W, kids. Too bad for y'all. You must train yourselves to like Black and White or you will miss probably 80% of the greatest movies ever made.

Yellow Sky Great version (sorta) of The Tempest, with Gregory Peck, Richard Widmark and Anne Baxter.

My Darling Clementine Everybody loves The Searchers for an ultimate John Ford film. To me, it's this gem with Henry Fonda, Victor Mature, Linda Darnell and Walter Brennan. Fans of Tombstone (I'm one too) will notice this one is not historically accurate, but hey, its poetry. A version appeared 15 years ago or so that has an extra ten or more minutes; look for that one. It should run about 102 minutes.

The Gunfighter Great little film with Gregory Peck about the weight of responsibility, very roughly based on the life of Johnny Ringo.

Ford's Cavalry Trilogy: Fort Apache, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (in the most beautiful Technicolor you have ever seen) and Rio Grande.

Terror in a Texas Town A Scorcese favorite, with Whaler Sterling Hayden and his harpoon (??!) coming to settle scores with Sebastian Cabot. Pretty loony picture.

3:10 to Yuma Great little psychological drama with outlaw Glenn Ford and good guy Van Heflin holding him for the arrival of the law.

I'll work up a list of color sometime.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by badgerfan
What about Shane, though it is not widescreen the photograpy is great.
No question about that, terrific photography and one of my top 5 westerns.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Shaded----You have exquisite taste in Westerns. :) Hows about Wagonmaster, Man Without a Star and Winchester 73? "Waco Johnny Dean, another brave man." :)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Badgerfan and John M.,

I'm very much with you guys on SHANE: my all-time favorite western! Kudos to George Stevens for what I think is the quintessential American "west-ography".

I noticed it is due out May 21 on DVD---sure hope the transfer is a good one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.