AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a great looking HTPC case that will also allow large graphics cards, like a 580 GTX. I want something classy, but I don't need a $600 case with a lcd display.

I always liked the look of the Karma TF11, but I don't see anyone selling those in the states. Right now the Lian Li PC-C60 is probably the front runner. I have considered the Silverstone FT03, but I doubt it will fit in my media closet and I have some concern about the size limitations. Same with the GD06. I want something that looks classy and with USB 3.0 headers. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan W /forum/post/20858483

I am looking for a great looking HTPC case that will also allow large graphics cards, like a 580 GTX. I want something classy, but I don't need a $600 case with a lcd display.

I always liked the look of the Karma TF11, but I don't see anyone selling those in the states. Right now the Lian Li PC-C60 is probably the front runner. I have considered the Silverstone FT03, but I doubt it will fit in my media closet and I have some concern about the size limitations. Same with the GD06. I want something that looks classy and with USB 3.0 headers. Any other suggestions?

Is your motherboard going to have 3.0 headers as well? Most don't.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was the plan. They are becoming more common from what I understand. I'm fairly certain the ATX boards I was looking at had them. Maybe less common on smaller boards, I haven't looked at too many of those.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi,

I just finished my two HTPCs and I used Silverstone cases for both. The case pictured below is this one at Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811163117

For extra video card room, you can leave one, or both of the drive enclosures out.

You can also use the 3.5" bay adapter the newest motherboards are coming with for the USB 3.0 ports.

The only problem I had was fan noise (old motherboard with poor fan speed control). I installed two of these fans and it's quiet enough to place near the users without problems.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835186031

There is plenty of room if you want to place an MCE remote receiver inside the case. Just drill two holes 1/4" apart and glue the receiver card to the inside of the face.

I tried the more expensive Silverstone GD01 case, and I really prefer this one. Either case will take a full sized ATX MB.

Both cases are 17" wide x 6 3/4" tall x 17 1/2 deep.

PS: You need to be looking at upscale H61, P67 & Z68 MBs (if you're going with Intel) for USB 3.0 & SATA v3.0 (6 Gb/sec) support.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do like that case, although it's not USB 3.0, might not be that big of a deal. I plan on possibly adding a capture card later on that needs 3.0 though, but as long as there are some in the back, might not be too bad.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Very nice setup!

I just realized, with the rear facing fans, extremely tight cabinet space is simply no problem.

Yes, the ASRock z68 MB I just installed had two USB 3.0 ports on the back, and came with a 2 port front mount for a 3.5" external drive bay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.