AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The RP82 appears to have been discontinued - did it get replaced with something similar? What progressive scan player should I be looking to buy in the less then $200 price point - I have a Sony TV- are there any issues with the low cost Sony DVD players - I will be using the mostly for watching DVD movies - I am not so concerned about the new audio standards. Thanks!

·
Registered
352 Posts
the rp-82 is not discontinued but it is hard to find at retail stores. You might have to buy it online. it is the best bang for the buck.

mark

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Stamper
the rp-82 is not discontinued but it is hard to find at retail stores. You might have to buy it online.
Most "big box" retail stores, don't carry it, so try online as Mark suggested. Stock will also vary at online stores for the 82 is turning out to be a rather popular player.

·
Registered
220 Posts
if you can't find the RP82, look for the CP72 - essentially the same player, but adds a 5 disc carousel, and drops the co-ax digital out in favour of optical digital only. and you can get in black (unlike the RP82). may even be cheaper too, w/ current $30 rebate

·
Registered
80 Posts
Can anyone refer a specific online dealer with stock (or is that not allowed ?). I'm ready to buy !

Thanks

·
Registered
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by meta
if you can't find the RP82, look for the CP72 - essentially the same player, but adds a 5 disc carousel, and drops the co-ax digital out in favour of optical digital only. and you can get in black (unlike the RP82). may even be cheaper too, w/ current $30 rebate
Do a Yahoo search in shopping and you will find several sites offering RP82

·
Registered
280 Posts
I just picked up the RP-82 from One Call, they have a special that includes free shipping.

They had plenty in stock as of earlier this week.

----------------

Dan

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
We need a seperate forum for all these new users that can't afford to buy good equipment, that wll give them years of enjoyment. Don't they understand PQ doesn't come in the lowest dollar amount you can spend? :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Not sure who you are referring to here hob, but I know the RP-82 is parked in some pretty

nice HT systems, including mine.

I looked very seriously at the Denon 3800 but decided to pick

up the 82 while the 3800 issues get worked out.

It's an excellent player.

-----------------

Dan

·
Registered
70 Posts
The CP72 is the same player with a 5 disc changer?

If you compare the 2 on panasonic's website the rp82 is listed as having "4:4:4 Signal Processing", "4:3 Shrink Function w/ Letterbox Zoom & Shift", and "Digital Re-Master Processing" while the cp72 does not. Are any of these features super important?

A 5 disc changer and a $30 rebate is enticing but not at the lost of audio or picture quality.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hob - my post did not say - what is the cheapest DVD player! I have been reading on this forum that the RP82 is better then many players that cost far more. I try to spend my money where I get the most bang for the buck - I have a XBR800 and a Denon 3803 - most current DVD players are stuck at 480p right now. My intent is to get this for now and upgrade when the 720p players come down in cost. Why spend $1000 dollars now on 480p player when higher resolution players will soon be out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.