AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a projector for: (A) live TV/Tivo, (B) DVDs, (C) occasional computer use, probably from laptops rather than dedicated HTPC, for things like digital photo display/editing, web surfing, maybe games, etc. I don't have an HDTV signal to project currently, and while that may change at some point, I can't imagine projecting HDTV for a large fraction of use any time soon.

I think the HS10 would suit my purposes great, but it doesn't seem very easy to get right now, and if you can find one, the prices are still fairly high due to the demand.

Every sub-$5k projector on the recommended list at projectorcentral.com is either a DLP projector (I wouldn't want to give rainbow headaches to any of my friends who may be sensitive even if I turn out not to be), or a projector with less than 768 vertical resolution. I'm not a projector expert, but it seems that 1024x768 is a minimum for reasonable computer use for photo viewing/editing, web surfing, etc., especially for hooking up random, possibly older, laptop computers. I imagine the 1/4 HD projectors like the L300U are not going to be nearly as good for this as an XGA or WXGA projector. Even the 1280x720 TW100 probably creates headaches for computer projecting, right?

So what else gives reasonableHT performance for TV and DVDs that has at least 1024x768 native resolution for reasonable computer use? Panasonic PT-LC75U (roughly $1600-1700 street right now)? Or maybe the more expensive PT-L720U, but what besides a bit of extra brightness justifies spending roughly $1100 street more for it? Compared to the HS10, both of these unfortunately lack digital input.

Are there any other good XGA/WXGA options for under $3k?

(For my own personal situation, I probably don't need the absolute best HT quality as this will be my first projector, stepping up from a 32" TV, and I'll be projecting onto an off-white wall without a screen, but I'm happy to keep the thread general as I imagine there are others for whom occasional computer use will be more frequent than occasional HDTV use.)

-Karl

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kpfleger
Even the 1280x720 TW100 probably creates headaches for computer projecting, right?

-Karl
The TW100 is LCD so it will not give headaches.

Sounds like it or the HS10 will give you what you want. If $3k is your price point, then they are readily available if you can swallow the thought of buying one today while giving up the "best deal".

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
For TV and PC, mostly 4:3 viewing I would go with the 75u and don't look back. Even with HD and DVD, the 75u is outstanding and still offers more resolution in 16:9 mode than some of the other native 16:9 projectors.

I have the 75u and couldn't be happier with its performance. YMMV :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Panasonic 75u is excellent, and I watch mostly 16:9. The 75u is going for around $1600 now. It was originally $4000. It is and XGA LCD with 1200 lumens of brightness. Combine it with a $20 FLD filter and a $250 DaLite HiPower screen, and you are golden. It works wonders with everything I throw at it- HDTV, DVD 4:3 and 16:9, XGA Windows, Mac, and Linux, XBOX, PS2- all with no tweaking or messing about with custom resolutions. It auto-configured perfectly right out of the box.

LaKidd

"Medicinal use only"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by JPinTO
The TW100 is LCD so it will not give headaches.

Sounds like it or the HS10 will give you what you want. If $3k is your price point, then they are readily available if you can swallow the thought of buying one today while giving up the "best deal".
Sorry, I guess I shouldn't have used the word headaches. I didn't mean DLP headaches from viewing. I meant that since the TW100 is 1280x720 instead of 1366x768, I'm guessing it will be a pain to project some computers on it without chopping 48 rows from the top or bottom or scaling in such a way that bad articfacts are created. My laptop from work, for example, has settings for only 1024x768 or 800x600 by default.

Even if I were willing to pay $3k for the HS10 today, I couldn't find any websites that listed it as in stock even for MSRP (most places seem to be closed for the weekend so I haven't had a chance to phone yet).

-Karl

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Sonn
Come on, look at the place referred to here
Why? Seems to be talking about screens. Didn't see connection immediately so didn't read more. -K

·
Registered
32 Posts
Quote:
Even if I were willing to pay $3k for the HS10 today, I couldn't find any webpage
Add the "com" to the shop name and go there, if you are looking for a cheap HS10

Just tried to help you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.