AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have been lurking around the site for a few days now trying to figure out what set I should buy. I am looking for a 42-50" plasma for between $600-800. From all of the research I have done, everything seems to point to the Panasonic TC-P50X1.

However, I have been browsing through the official owners thread and quite a few people don't seem to be satisfied with the set recently. Quite a few people say to wait for the 2010 models, such as the C2. So, I was just curious what you guys think would be the best option for my situation? Would it be best to wait for the 2010 Panny models to come out, consider looking into any other sets or just purchase the X1?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
We just returned a Toshiba 40xv645u 120hz LCD TV and bought a 50" X1 and let me tell you the X1 is about 10x better than the Toshiba. i've owned many 1080p LCD's and this plasma puts every 120hz LCD to shame thats near its price range

love the contrast and the fact that contrast never shifts on plasma like it does on all LCD's and motion is wayy better on plasma LCD's either have bad motion resolution or look fake due to motion enhancers so yeah get the X1 it will not disappoint for the price of the set

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you guys think that it is okay to buy the set even with the known black level issues? The one part of the CNET article made me doubt my initial choice when it said, "But if I were buying a plasma TV right now, I would avoid the 2009 line of Panasonic plasmas. The user reports cited above, and Panasonic's statement that the 2010 models feature a more gradual change, are currently enough to make me doubt the long-term picture quality of the company's 2009 plasmas."

·
Registered
599 Posts
No such thing as BEST with the CHEAPEST PRICE.

Low end models are cheap because they DO NOT have PQ, BELLS & WHISTLES, DIFFERENT TYPES of CONNECTIONS etc.

Perhaps your best bet would be to go to the MARCH 2010 CONSUMER REPORTS,

which just came out. Identify the functions and features that you are looking for and then see which PLASMAS or LCDS have them.

Information on Consumer Reports is reliable.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs-LG /forum/post/18132293

The lower the price gets the less functions it had. Well if you are not very much into high quality like me then less functions are also pretty good..

Look into LG PQ series, they are a great set, with comparable features to Samsung and Panny. I would avoid the Pannys for the black level issue, and I returned a samsung because of a screen effect/defect. I have had my LG PQ10 for over a month, and I love it! PQ is great and vivid, even at 60 contrast and 48 brightness =D.

·
Registered
45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman4 /forum/post/18131898

No such thing as BEST with the CHEAPEST PRICE.

Low end models are cheap because they DO NOT have PQ, BELLS & WHISTLES, DIFFERENT TYPES of CONNECTIONS etc.

Perhaps your best bet would be to go to the MARCH 2010 CONSUMER REPORTS,

which just came out. Identify the functions and features that you are looking for and then see which PLASMAS or LCDS have them.

Information on Consumer Reports is reliable.

this past year they had the sony s series rated above the xbr/z/w/v series, the s series is a filthy turd of a television

·
Registered
324 Posts
Ive had an panny 42x1 for 7 month now and I like it better now than when I first got it. This black issue is so over blown. One thing you will notice on avs forum is they will pick a tv apart on any type of flaw it has thats what these guy do there really into tvs and electronics. But to the average guy they read this stuff and think its really big. I ll bet you money you will never notice the blacks rising with your naked eye if you get an x1. Now having said that there are professionals out there who work with tvs every day who may be abel to do this but if a lot of these guys didnt take meter readings of the black levels they would never have noticed it. Also addressing some of the other things writen above one guy tries to equate cheap price with cheap tv. Thats not the case with this tv . Plasma problems have been worked out thru the years because they are older but lcd are a much younger tech so they still have a problems which plasmas do not have such as bad off angle viewing, black levels, motion blur etc. Also someone talked about consumer report and there rating. The panasonic x1 scored better than most lcds and not quite as good as some of the other plasmas but remember with the x1 there is not a lot of user adjustments, which is a draw back , so when they rated those tvs they did not make the adjustments in the service menu which would have brought the score up of the x1. But that is another advantage to getting the x1 is there is a professional calibrator on avs forum named d-nice and some say he is the very best. He took an x1 and calibrated it and gave us the offsets on avs forum so we can go in and make the adjustments to the service menu to make the picture better. That cost about 350 for him to do but free to x1 owners since he gave it to us. If you go to the 12g setting thread first post you can get the offsets. To make a long story short you will like the x1.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rongo /forum/post/18134978

I ll bet you money you will never notice the blacks rising with your naked eye if you get an x1. Now having said that there are professionals out there who work with tvs every day who may be abel to do this but if a lot of these guys didnt take meter readings of the black levels they would never have noticed it.

^ Complete bull****.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think the best bang for the buck is gonna be the S1 series from Panny. If they are still available in your area (as they are sold out in most areas), then you could pick up an S1 for only a couple hundred more...way worth it IMO

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rongo /forum/post/18134978

Ive had an panny 42x1 for 7 month now and I like it better now than when I first got it. This black issue is so over blown. One thing you will notice on avs forum is they will pick a tv apart on any type of flaw it has thats what these guy do there really into tvs and electronics. But to the average guy they read this stuff and think its really big. I ll bet you money you will never notice the blacks rising with your naked eye if you get an x1. Now having said that there are professionals out there who work with tvs every day who may be abel to do this but if a lot of these guys didnt take meter readings of the black levels they would never have noticed it. Also addressing some of the other things writen above one guy tries to equate cheap price with cheap tv. Thats not the case with this tv . Plasma problems have been worked out thru the years because they are older but lcd are a much younger tech so they still have a problems which plasmas do not have such as bad off angle viewing, black levels, motion blur etc. Also someone talked about consumer report and there rating. The panasonic x1 scored better than most lcds and not quite as good as some of the other plasmas but remember with the x1 there is not a lot of user adjustments, which is a draw back , so when they rated those tvs they did not make the adjustments in the service menu which would have brought the score up of the x1. But that is another advantage to getting the x1 is there is a professional calibrator on avs forum named d-nice and some say he is the very best. He took an x1 and calibrated it and gave us the offsets on avs forum so we can go in and make the adjustments to the service menu to make the picture better. That cost about 350 for him to do but free to x1 owners since he gave it to us. If you go to the 12g setting thread first post you can get the offsets. To make a long story short you will like the x1.

I have to agree unless viewing in a completely dark or very dim room you will not notice the black level increase much

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the input everyone, I ended up ordering the Samsung PN50B450 for a great price. I stopped by a local store and they actually had the X1, PN50B450 and the LG Q30 side-by-side. After looking at the sets for awhile, I decided I liked the Samsung the best

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFirth31 /forum/post/18137485

Thanks for the input everyone, I ended up ordering the Samsung PN50B450 for a great price. I stopped by a local store and they actually had the X1, PN50B450 and the LG Q30 side-by-side. After looking at the sets for awhile, I decided I liked the Samsung the best

That's possibly one of the worst things you can do to compare tvs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHamp Database /forum/post/18137499

That's possibly one of the worst things you can do to compare tvs.

I already had done quite a bit of research on those three sets, and just wanted to see what they looked like in person. To my eyes at least the Samsung looked better than the X1, and there is no black level issue to worry about. I'm not really a huge videophile (currently have a 27" CRT haha), so anything is going to make a marked improvement

Before I start scouring the boards for more answers, I keep reading about "breaking in" a new plasma. What resource would you guys recommend for breaking in the PN50B450?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.