AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a low budget sound system (probably around $800 total -- on a graduate student budget).

One place I know I can skimp a little bit is on the subwoofer. I've never really enjoyed booming base, and won't be using extremely high volumes. My room is also an apartment - though the room itself is medium size (25' x 15' or so).

I've seen a lot of subwoofers in the $100 range. What models are best - and which have really evident flaws? Sorry to waste people's time on the low quality stuff - but sometimes it's reality... The other side - is that I think the low end is where making a smart choice will have the biggest effect (all the high end stuff sounds good to me)

(I had some links to ones i've looked at here - but I can't post them since i'm a newbie)

Thanks,

~Lyuokdea

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The only sub I recommend for less than $100 is Polk PSW10. Forget about Sony or Yamaha. I have it and for the price and size sounds ok. Sounds better in music than Movies; but anyway the movies and music sound way better by adding just this sub.

I recommend you to save money and get BIC-PL200. Can cost you $269 plus free UPS Ground Shipping. This sub can competes within the $300-$450 range subs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info on the Polk PSW10 - I think the BIC you mentioned is a little bit out of my price range.

However, I am looking at the BIC V-1020, which I've heard is very nice. It's a little out of my range as well, but maybe I can find a deal somewhere. How would this compare to the lava and the Polk?

Thanks,

~Lyuokdea

·
Registered
1,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyuokdea /forum/post/19566514

Thanks for the info on the Polk PSW10 - I think the BIC you mentioned is a little bit out of my price range.

However, I am looking at the BIC V-1020, which I've heard is very nice. It's a little out of my range as well, but maybe I can find a deal somewhere. How would this compare to the lava and the Polk?

Thanks,

~Lyuokdea

Teamstore.com has a 25% off sale plus free shipping.

Sign up for mrrebates.com com, get $7.50 sign up bonus and 7% cashback and it is in your price range.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update - I am likely to be going used with the rest of my speakers - so I have a little bit of money. My two options in the $150 range seem to be:

BIC V1020 10" (new for $147)

A used Klipsch SUB10 (2 years old for $125)

The rest of my system will be Klipsch, so maybe the Klipsch will fit in better? But I've heard some negative things about their subwoofers

What do you think?

~Lyuokdea

·
Registered
3,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyuokdea /forum/post/19574918

Update - I am likely to be going used with the rest of my speakers - so I have a little bit of money. My two options in the $150 range seem to be:

BIC V1020 10" (new for $147)

A used Klipsch SUB10 (2 years old for $125)

The rest of my system will be Klipsch, so maybe the Klipsch will fit in better? But I've heard some negative things about their subwoofers

What do you think?

~Lyuokdea

I would consider a Lava 10" for $209 shipped or a Lava 8" for even less. I have the 10 and it sounds good. Another idea since you're on a pretty tight budget is to get the Energy RC micro 5.1 system (5 satellites + sub) for $399 shipped @ Crutchfield. A buddy has this setup and loves it. Checkout the reviews on it.

·
Registered
721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyuokdea /forum/post/19566514

Thanks,

~Lyuokdea

I was just about to reccomend that. We use that sub in our upstairs Rock Band setup, which oddly is about the total price range you are looking into and its fantastic.

Basically my roommate picked up a Denon AVR-590 for about $300, spent $200 on 2x pair of Polk Monitor 30's, $100 on a polk cs10 center channel, $150 on the BIC V1020, and then assorted stands/cables/etc.

Should be right in your budget and i can confirm it sounds great and will easily fill the upper level of our house which is vaulted ceilings, open to the kitchen, etc. Easily over 4000 cubic ft.

Edit: If you wanted to spend $100 extra, you might consider replacing a pair of the monitor 30 bookshelves with 2 of these guys: Its actualy not really a $100 difference too if you consider a decent pair of stands for the bookshelves will run ya $35 or 40 bucks anyways. Just a thought.

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Mon...1249772&sr=8-1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts