AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of treating my listening room, and I would like to do it at the least expense possible. I have seen panels made with Rock Wool, Owens Corning fiberglass, and an array of foams and other perforated materials. Is there any clear cut winners in any of these materials????

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug1223 /forum/post/19590607

I am in the process of treating my listening room, and I would like to do it at the least expense possible. I have seen panels made with Rock Wool, Owens Corning fiberglass, and an array of foams and other perforated materials. Is there any clear cut winners in any of these materials????

Usually Rock Wool is the cheapest and it does a good job.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug1223
Is rock wool a loose fiber?
It's this stuff . Keep in mind that the material you cover it with is important to because some materials are more acoustically transparent than others. BTW the prices for completed panels at ATS are pretty reasonable.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
I just purchased 7 ATS micro fiber 4" panels. Very happy with them and under 400 dollars shipped. Posted a pic....very well made panels.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug1223 /forum/post/19590607

Depends on what treatment you need. Very different kinds of options.

For absorption, foams are a bad choice. Dense (thick) fiberglass in board form is usually the best and most economical choice for high-quality absorbers, available from a number of manufacturers as you mentioned.

Check the master acoustics thread(s) there is gobs of info in there.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
This is the cheapest I've found. It's what ATS puts in the completed panels they sell.

http://www.atsacoustics.com/item--Ro...f-6--1006.html

I built my panels for about $18 each for all materials (fiberwool, MDF, glue, covering etc) and a long weekend. They look just as good as anything I've seen built by a manufacturer. There's DIY info all over the web.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO /forum/post/19627582

How is the microfiber performing? I got a sample of their standard material as well as the microfiber and the microfiber was far far from being acoustically transparent.

What they told me at ATS is that if you needed 6 panels with standard covers that you'd need 1 extra to make up for the microfiber. I have 8 microfiber in my family room and two in my bedroom and they look and work great.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 /forum/post/19590710

Usually Rock Wool is the cheapest and it does a good job.

Rock wool is more expensive in the US. R-19 pink fluffy insulation gives you the same results for a lot less. If you're in Canada the prices are similar.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool /forum/post/19628780

Rock wool is more expensive in the US. R-19 pink fluffy insulation gives you the same results for a lot less. If you're in Canada the prices are similar.

Not sure about that one. Rockwool panels are much cheaper than the fiberglass alternatives...

Look at ATS acoustics

Rockwool is $34 (case of 6)

OC 703 is $74. (case of 6)

And R-19 has to be compressed and doesn't give you a smooth looking panel... and it doesn NOT extend as low in freq. either. It may be a little cheaper but it doesn't look or perform as well.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
GIK Acoustics panels are such a great value, I don't see why anyone would bother to try to make panels. They look great and they work. (I bought mine from them online and paid retail, BTW.)

As an aside, if you "dampen" a room, you make it wet. If you "damp" a room, you are probably tempering the acoustics.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 /forum/post/19631113

Not sure about that one. Rockwool panels are much cheaper than the fiberglass alternatives...

Look at ATS acoustics

Rockwool is $34

OC 703 is $74.

And R-19 has to be compressed and doesn't give you a smooth looking panel... and it doesn NOT extend as low in freq. either. It may be a little cheaper but it doesn't look or perform as well.

It would have helped if I actually read the "panels" part.
However, the statement does hold true for regular sound attenuation.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli /forum/post/19631211

GIK Acoustics panels are such a great value, I don't see why anyone would bother to try to make panels. They look great and they work. (I bought mine from them online and paid retail, BTW.)

As an aside, if you "dampen" a room, you make it wet. If you "damp" a room, you are probably tempering the acoustics.

If you're handy I don't see why anyone would "BUY" panels.
For $18 (give or take) a panel You can DIY panels that looks just as good as what GIK sells. Buying from others is really paying them to DIY (they build it just like you can) and then sell it to you.

Of course if you just aren't the DIY type you can spend 3-4 times as much and get the same thing.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
 http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm

I am in the process of figuring out what to use. I think I am going to try and find some 703 or equivalent locally. I was thinking about calling some plumbing distributors and asking if they have any rigid fiberglass such as oc 703 and pricing and checking absorptions. I plan on going to local fabric shops and seeing if I can find some cheap black materials that pass blow test such as muslin to wrap them in. I was planning on using velcro on them so I could easily take down to show others the difference acoustic panels make. I just want to get the cheapest functional stuff I can make on my own.

Theater is small room (~9.5w x 7h x16d) that has large opening (6.5 x 8) off right of front sound stage to large basement (6000cu.ft), so bass exits quickly. I was planning on putting 4 inch thick 703 or substitute behind fronts and on wall just past fronts on left wall, then 2 inch the rest of the way back. I don't plan on framing them and was wondering the best way to secure the panels together (Let's say 4, 1" panels stacked)? Would a dab of hot glue in each corner work to hold together? Also since I wasn't planning on framing with wood, what is the best way to get fabric to stay wrapped tightly since I can't staple into wood? Thanks for any help in the search for cheap absoption panels.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp
http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm

I am in the process of figuring out what to use. I think I am going to try and find some 703 or equivalent locally. I was thinking about calling some plumbing distributors and asking if they have any rigid fiberglass such as oc 703 and pricing and checking absorptions. I plan on going to local fabric shops and seeing if I can find some cheap black materials that pass blow test such as muslin to wrap them in. I was planning on using velcro on them so I could easily take down to show others the difference acoustic panels make. I just want to get the cheapest functional stuff I can make on my own.

Theater is small room (~9.5w x 7h x16d) that has large opening (6.5 x 8) off right of front sound stage to large basement (6000cu.ft), so bass exits quickly. I was planning on putting 4 inch thick 703 or substitute behind fronts and on wall just past fronts on left wall, then 2 inch the rest of the way back. I don't plan on framing them and was wondering the best way to secure the panels together (Let's say 4, 1" panels stacked)? Would a dab of hot glue in each corner work to hold together? Also since I wasn't planning on framing with wood, what is the best way to get fabric to stay wrapped tightly since I can't staple into wood? Thanks for any help in the search for cheap absoption panels.
Would these work for keeping the fabric tight?

http://www.amazon.com/Sheet-Suspende.../dp/B0014AMBWK

1 - 20 of 86 Posts