AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I made the box for my sub on the large side on purpose if I ever decide to go ported. I need to reduce the volume by about 1 cf. I have a bunch of books in there right now but the way I have the bracing set-up I really need to custom fit something. I know most people just use 2x4s cut and glued/screwed but I'm curious if there's anything lighter I could use. With the box + sub + amp this thing already weighs around 100 lbs. 

Some people have mentioned foam sheet insulation but I question whether this is dense enough. Is there anything any of you have used/would recommend that would effectively reduce volume while being lighter than wood? 

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
8,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by invain  /t/1520378/best-material-to-reduce-box-volume/0_50#post_24423973

I made the box for my sub on the large side on purpose if I ever decide to go ported. I need to reduce the volume by about 1 cf.
Why even bother? It's just going to change the Q slightly and room effects and EQ (if any used) will completely smother the difference.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Oh yeah, especially if it's used for HT. Just leave it as it is imo.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308  /t/1520378/best-material-to-reduce-box-volume#post_24424337

Why even bother? It's just going to change the Q slightly and room effects and EQ (if any used) will completely smother the difference.
The sub I'm using calls for a 2.4 cf box with a qts of .7. It also has an FS of 15 hz so there is bottom end for days. Like I said I added a bunch of books to reduce volume by .6 - .7 cf and it made a pretty huge difference. 

I'm also using the top end of the sub's power handling and I was hitting max extension way too easy at low frequencies when I first tested it out with an effective box volume of around 4 cf. 

1 - 7 of 7 Posts