AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which player has the best support for playing back Blu-Ray ISOs?


I expect full menu support, BD-Live support, and 7.1 support. I'd also want a player with a good network stack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,187 Posts
Any of the Dune players except for the lite version.
 

·
UHD Addict
Joined
·
39,545 Posts
The Popcorn Hour C200 and A210 work great too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,309 Posts
I am presently using a Netgear NeoTV 550 and it plays BD ISOs with little issue. My biggest complaint with the box is that the interface is kind of crap. I also have a couple Apple TV 2s and an XBMC based HTPC and they are both light years ahead of the Netgear in the UI department. The Apple TVs can't compete in the compatibility area compared to the Netgear and I do love the fact that the Netgear will pass 24/96 audio without resampling.


I have no experience with either the Dune or Popcorn Hour, but I have considered both in the past. The Netgear caught my eye on price alone and so far has been a reasonable player.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,321 Posts
While low price is always a plus, it seems there's a common thread that the less you spend, less likely is the firmware to develop fully as all of these boxes take extensive amount of programming to meet most user's expectations.


For BD with Menu, I recommend the Dune.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 /forum/post/20865842


I am presently using a Netgear NeoTV 550 and it plays BD ISOs with little issue. My biggest complaint with the box is that the interface is kind of crap. I also have a couple Apple TV 2s and an XBMC based HTPC and they are both light years ahead of the Netgear in the UI department. The Apple TVs can't compete in the compatibility area compared to the Netgear and I do love the fact that the Netgear will pass 24/96 audio without resampling.


I have no experience with either the Dune or Popcorn Hour, but I have considered both in the past. The Netgear caught my eye on price alone and so far has been a reasonable player.

I agree fully. I've had a NeoTV 550 since January and it has played everything I've thrown at it, including many BD ISO files. The UI is always going to be subjective to ones own taste, but it does everything I need.


I highly recommend checking out the NeoTV 550. It just received a firmware update 2 days ago, so they are actively working on it. You can't beat it for $150 and 30 days of trial from Amazon.


GJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark2005 /forum/post/20887925


What about Xtreamer? I just recently heard about them. The Prodigy model is coming out in September looks nice. Anybody here want to share their experience if you have an Xtreamer unit?

You are looking to open a can of worms asking for users feelings about Xtreamer



Here is a review I did on the Xtreamer Pro:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011...-xtreamer-pro/


Overall Xtreamer is not a bad product. The company in general has been known to completely over promise, vague (possibly false?) advertising, a hostile forum, etc... I would hold all judgments about the Prodigy until it is released and it is proven that the marketing and the actual available features actually match off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/20887932


You are looking to open a can of worms asking for users feelings about Xtreamer



Here is a review I did on the Xtreamer Pro:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011...-xtreamer-pro/


Overall Xtreamer is not a bad product. The company in general has been known to completely over promise, vague (possibly false?) advertising, a hostile forum, etc... I would hold all judgments about the Prodigy until it is released and it is proven that the marketing and the actual available features actually match off.

Nice review. I also saw your review on the Dune HD Smart D1. The feature that's most important to me is the media player's ability to replicate a bluray player fully. What I mean is when I put in a Bluray movie disc in a Bluray player it starts by playing the previews and then goes to the menu screen with the setup, scene selection, extras, etc. Is there a media player out there that can replicate that with a Bluray ISO?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark2005 /forum/post/20887997


Nice review. I also saw your review on the Dune HD Smart D1. The feature that's most important to me is the media player's ability to replicate a bluray player fully. What I mean is when I put in a Bluray movie disc in a Bluray player it starts by playing the previews and then goes to the menu screen with the setup, scene selection, extras, etc. Is there a media player out there that can replicate that with a Bluray ISO?

Dune, PCH and I think Netgear NeoTV (not 100% sure on this one). Keep in mind Blu-ray ISO does not necessarily indicate a full Blu-ray rip, it could simply be a main movie rip (which is what I do). You want full disc access, including full disc menus, which only the players I just listed support
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover /forum/post/20888045


yes, the neotv 550 from netgear does full menus as well..

Damian, I have an extra 550 here I won't be putting to use for awhile. You want me to ship it to you and you can put it through its paces? If so pm me..

Thanks for confirming.


Hmmm... I have a backlog of guides/reviews I need to get through, but if I can get caught up I may have to take you up on that offer. Will def. PM you if that happens, thanks for the offer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark2005
What I mean is when I put in a Bluray movie disc in a Bluray player it starts by playing the previews and then goes to the menu screen with the setup, scene selection, extras, etc. Is there a media player out there that can replicate that with a Bluray ISO?
Yes the Netgear 550 does that very well, but it's about the only thing it does well
That is all I use it for, and I stream all of my full BD iso's from my PC in my office to my HT in the living room. Most movies I only backup as "movie only", but some I backup the whole disc, and the 550 plays all the previews, menus, government warnings as though I just popped a disc into a player. Never a hiccup. But for everything else, I use my ps3. It's much better at streaming home movies, music, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8tr
Yes the Netgear 550 does that very well, but it's about the only thing it does well
That is all I use it for, and I stream all of my full BD iso's from my PC in my office to my HT in the living room.
I'm curious to know why streaming BD ISOs is the only thing it does well. I don't have one of those so I'm just trying to find out what's good and bad about it.
 
1 - 20 of 140 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top