AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a media player to be used with my macbook pro (and to some extent a windows pc but i hardly use that). My primary goal is to sync my mp3's/itunes library to it, but I would also like the option to perform other tasks as well should I so choose. It seems like the appletv is the easiest option, but I also read that its under powered, etc. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I am kind of right there with you. I have an external HD with my iTunes library and wanted to get access to it from the living room.

Yes, the AppleTV is underpowered. The CPU is not strong enough to stream your BluRay Isos.

If you purchased stuff from iTunes that you want to display, AppleTV or a Mac HTPC is the best way to access that content, as a lot of other(most) Media Servers out there can't play the iTunes protected content.

What I like about the AppleTV is how you can hack it and install Boxee.

I kind of see it as you probably will end up with two solutions to go with. Maybe an AppleTV to hack and install something like Boxee for your iTunes stuff and streaming online content. Then get a more powerful box, like maybe a Dune player for streaming high def BluRay stuff with loss-less audio.

I think getting a NAS drive is also a great idea, instead of always having your MacBook Pro running.

hth.

Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts