AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best media player for picture quality? Popcorn Hour A410, Mede8er 600X3D or Dune HD Base 3D

I want the media player with the absolute best picture quality for my backed up BDs and DVDs.

I'm currently using a Crystal Audio MediaMatchbox player to play material from portable hard drives. I want a better player since the MediaMatchbox sometimes stutters in very busy scenes with a lot of detail, movement etc.

The MediaMatchbox is a Realtek 1185 based player and i know the Mede8er uses the newer 1186 chip. Is there a big difference?

I would prefer a smaller player like the popcorn hour or the mede8er but if the dune is much better i would try that.

Initially i would play over flash drives and portable hard drives but eventually i'm interested in playback from a NAS so i would also like to know if any has advantages over the others in that respect.

Any other suggestions are welcome

·
Registered
70 Posts
Best media player for picture quality? Popcorn Hour A410, Mede8er 600X3D or Dune HD Base 3D

I want the media player with the absolute best picture quality for my backed up BDs and DVDs.

I'm currently using a Crystal Audio MediaMatchbox player to play material from portable hard drives. I want a better player since the MediaMatchbox sometimes stutters in very busy scenes with a lot of detail, movement etc.

The MediaMatchbox is a Realtek 1185 based player and i know the Mede8er uses the newer 1186 chip. Is there a big difference?

I would prefer a smaller player like the popcorn hour or the mede8er but if the dune is much better i would try that.

Initially i would play over flash drives and portable hard drives but eventually i'm interested in playback from a NAS so i would also like to know if any has advantages over the others in that respect.

Any other suggestions are welcome
I have a dune smart series and I love it but there is another option, a chromebox with openelec flashed on it (xbmc/kodi)

Something you didn't mention was how you copy them as, are you using MKV, Iso...something else?

I just set up my chromebox and I can not tell a difference in picture quality between the two.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Oppo 103 and Amazon Fire TV with Kodi/XBMC here to cover all bases. Can't tell the difference between the two with an Epson 3500 projector and cheap 110" screen.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So with 1080p content does any of the 3 have an advantage in picture quality? Or does the Popcorn Hour just have the edge in SD because of the VPX processing?

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
My experience is the Sigma based devices produce a better picture than the Realtek, and some (all??) can output native resolution. So if you are watching a 720p video it will output 720p and let your TV scaler handle the conversion. It also handles interlaced content very well.

I don't believe XBMC does that, and last I looked the scaling wasn't as nice. Someone else will have to chime in on whether that happens in software via XBMC or it's punted to the video driver to handle it. I don't recall.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts