AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have scanned the forums and played with a few players, so far VLC seems to be the best since it doesn't download the whole file first (like windows media player does) and it does get the aspect ratio (4:3) correct on a PC.

VLC works really well on my laptop on 802.11b at standard quality, no joy for medium but I'm sure that is bandwidth limitation on wireless link. I tried medium on desktop/wire LAN and it was fine once I had run TCPOptimizer.

These are the features I would like and doesn't work/have on VLC

1) drag position control to move thru video. If I do this on VLC there is no change to video stream playback position.

2) access to replayTV like controls, e.g. quickskip, instant replay, jump forward by entered number of minutes. I figure there must be a way to do this in the protocol between replayTV's because you can do it on a real replaytv streaming video from another replaytv.

3) use commercial skip information from source files on 5040.

4) use own commercial skip algorithm (assuming better than replayTV)

Are there any other players that support any of these features?

On another point has anyone got video streaming working OK on PC using wireless G?

I would really like to get this working so I can use the replaytv as a video server and watch the content anywhere in the house or in the garden on my laptop.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Quote:
1) drag position control to move thru video. If I do this on VLC there is no change to video stream playback position.

2) access to replayTV like controls, e.g. quickskip, instant replay, jump forward by entered number of minutes. I figure there must be a way to do this in the protocol between replayTV's because you can do it on a real replaytv streaming video from another replaytv.

3) use commercial skip information from source files on 5040.

4) use own commercial skip algorithm (assuming better than replayTV)

Are there any other players that support any of these features?
WMP supports #1, I know, but nothing out there supports 2 - 4 AFAIK.

Quote:
On another point has anyone got video streaming working OK on PC using wireless G?
Absolutely. A search should turn this up (I personally only use wired, so I can't help you).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I tried WMP I had to wait for the whole video to download before playback started and then yes I could move thru the video at will. However I don't want to wait before watching.

Is there a way to configure WMP to get it to start playing streamed video immediately?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Which codec are you using for WMP?? Have you tried the ELecard codecs? (Google)?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have Win98SE and use WMP 6.4 (file is called mplayer2.exe). It can stream video from RTV to PC using DVarchive. It does NOT need to download the entire show first. Also, if you tweak, most of the time you can stream up to a medium quality show at ~400 - 500 kb/sec.I have a 5040.

Also try searching google for moonlight or elecard or find links on this site to download codecs that work well for mpeg2 (replay files).

Al

·
Registered
230 Posts
I use VideoLAN, and it always garbles the bottom half of the screen. It even does this when I'm streaming from a video server (at about 8MBps). Is it a codec issue?

-AmoebaMan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.