AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any perceptible difference between CAS 3, 2.5, and 2 latencies for HTPC uses?

What about equivalent total amounts of RAM in either single-channel vs dual-channel mode with this NForce2 chipset?

More generally, is CPU horsepower more important than memory latency or memory bandwidth for HTPC purposes?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Corsair XMS CAS2 is regarded as the "primo" memory to get. If I were you, I'd probably get 2 x 512MB sticks for a total of 1GB, and this will take advantage of the dual channel capabilities. You obviously get better performance with the lower latencies. As for your CPU question, it depends on what exactly you'll be doing...but the rule of thumb "the faster the better," still remains the same. You might want to get one of the 333Mhz FSB CPUs so you can get the PC3200 DDR RAM and get better performance.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you're just watching movies, I don't think there will be much difference, as you're not likely to get 100% CPU usage.

Generally though, the faster FSB the better, but I'd advise against having a different FSB and memory clock (e.g. 333FSB, 400 memory) as that introduces extra latencies. Best to stick to 1:1 clocks.

Of course, there's no reason apart from cost, not to buy the fastest memory you can get, as it can be run with more agressive timings. e.g. PC3200 CAS2.5 could be run at 333MHz (PC2700), but with the fastest settings, CAS2, 1T etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.