AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi and thanks in advance for help. I am looking to get a mid-priced universal player. I will use it mostly for playing DVD videos, but also looking to get into hi-res audio. I have looked at the entry-level units (the Pioneer is highly rated), but I don't like the build quality and they don't seem a good match for the rest of my AV system. I also don't want to spend a grand. I have heard good things about the Marantz (don't know model number) that sells in the range of $500. I have also read good things here about the Denon 2910 that sells for a bit more. Recomendations?

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
This midrange is going to fill out more. Sony 975, Panny s97, Yamaha s2500, Denon 2900, 2910... give or take a couple of hundred... ;)

·
Registered
223 Posts
got a 2910 for $555, so it's possible to find a great player without the grand price tag.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
I have the Marantz DV6400 (the one you probably mean) and for hi-res audio, it's great. For movies, it has a slower layer (though not deadly slow, just not as fast as my Cambridge) change than my other player, so I don't use it for that, and it doesn't have DVI/HDMI nor upconverting video out. The PQ looks fine on my TV but take that with a grain of salt as I have an analogue CRT, not HDTV ready, so I can't use the prog scan feature of the Marantz. The 6500 should be out soon so you should be able to get some good deals on the 6400.

·
Banned
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Q of BanditZ
This midrange is going to fill out more. Sony 975, Panny s97, Yamaha s2500, Denon 2900, 2910... give or take a couple of hundred... ;)
Is it really appropriate to categorize the Sony 975, Panny s97 as universal players when the Sony supports only SACD but not DVD-A and the S97 supports only DVD-A but not SACD?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the recommendations. I definitely want something that supports SACD and DVD-Audio. I am leaning toward the Denon 2910. Can anyone convince me that this is not a good choice or that there is a better selection in the same general price range?

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AkaStp
Is it really appropriate to categorize the Sony 975, Panny s97 as universal players when the Sony supports only SACD but not DVD-A and the S97 supports only DVD-A but not SACD?
No, it isn't. I apologize for that. I was kind of reaching to think of any nice, new players that come anywhere close to that midrange that he wanted. Got difficult mighty fast!

Of course... you could buy both the s97 and the Sony 975 and have a nice setup, with both SACD and DVD-A, between both of them for around $600 or less, give or take, right? :p

Quote:
Originally posted by dan57
Thanks for the recommendations. I definitely want something that supports SACD and DVD-Audio. I am leaning toward the Denon 2910. Can anyone convince me that this is not a good choice or that there is a better selection in the same general price range?
This particular price range, of around $500, is not very robust. Yet. Now, the Denon 2910 is $650 MSRP, is it not? So we're past your $500 limit. At that rate, I'd also recommend you consider the Denon 2900, which is arguably a better unit overall, especially for audio. The only thing it doesn't have is DVI and HDMI. Just something to think about, although there's nothing wrong with the 2910 by any means.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Quote:
This particular price range, of around $500, is not very robust. Yet. Now, the Denon 2910 is $650 MSRP, is it not? So we're past your $500 limit.
What's the street price of the 2910 these days? Maybe it will be close enough to $500 to make it an option for him.

Of course, I don't understand his rationale for exluding a Pioneer unit but maybe that's just my Pioneer bias in action... ;)

Peace....

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tomdkat
What's the street price of the 2910 these days? Maybe it will be close enough to $500 to make it an option for him.

Of course, I don't understand his rationale for exluding a Pioneer unit but maybe that's just my Pioneer bias in action... ;)

Peace....
Not deliberate. I'm not overly familliar with the Pioneer product line around that price range. :( Sure, if could swag the 59 avi under a grand I'd say do it! :D

If he gets a Denon 2910 at $500 ish, he's almost certainly going gray market, so, you know what that deal's about. You take your chances but maybe you hit gold.

·
Banned
529 Posts
Quote:
No, it isn't. I apologize for that.
No apology necessary, my question was largely retorical. :)

I have the Panny F87 so I suppose I have half of a universal player. ;)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I briefly had the Marantz 6400, since I, too, was primarily concerned about sound quality. While I don't recall what it sounded like (I didn't have it long enough to do any real listening), I *did* have problems with the Marantz failing to recognize disks. In particular, I never could get it to recognize the SACD layer of a hybrid SACD/CD disk, no matter what menu settings I had set (I tried every hybrid SACD in my possession). Also, less consistently, there were times when I would put in a DVD (not a DVD-A; I don't have any of that type of disk), and the unit would display an 'Unreadable Disk' or some equivalent type of error (these are standard, store-bought movie DVDs, not home-made DVDs). Usually, if I opened and closed the disk drawer, the unit would play the DVD the second time wihtout further complaint.

Since I was within the return period, I just sent the player back and went with a different manufacturer. Possibly mine was defective, but I do recall reading somewhere (not AVS) that another fellow experienced a similar problem as I did with hybrid SACDs.

YMMV.

Mike

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mdubrow
I briefly had the Marantz 6400, since I, too, was primarily concerned about sound quality. While I don't recall what it sounded like (I didn't have it long enough to do any real listening), I *did* have problems with the Marantz failing to recognize disks. In particular, I never could get it to recognize the SACD layer of a hybrid SACD/CD disk, no matter what menu settings I had set (I tried every hybrid SACD in my possession). Also, less consistently, there were times when I would put in a DVD (not a DVD-A; I don't have any of that type of disk), and the unit would display an 'Unreadable Disk' or some equivalent type of error (these are standard, store-bought movie DVDs, not home-made DVDs). Usually, if I opened and closed the disk drawer, the unit would play the DVD the second time wihtout further complaint.

Since I was within the return period, I just sent the player back and went with a different manufacturer. Possibly mine was defective, but I do recall reading somewhere (not AVS) that another fellow experienced a similar problem as I did with hybrid SACDs.

YMMV.

Mike
I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience as mine has been almost flawless (it won't stay in default m/c SACD if I play a two channel one, but that can be fixed via firmware upgrade--if I bother, as there are more important things in life than pressing a few extra buttons). However, it is always a risk that one will get a defective unit. When I bought a new receiver back in March, I got a bum unit. A week later, a new replacement unit arrived and it too was kaput. So I went with another manufacturer. Too bad as I really liked the sound from the first brand and it has a sterling reputation for quality. I guess it can happen with any brand, as features and components get more complex. Well, it isn't caveat emptor for nothing.

To the original poster:

Of the universals I considered, here is how I ranked them for audio quality:

Denon 2900

Marantz 6400

Denon 2200

I also considered the Yamaha 1500 but it was delayed too long and I got tired of waiting, though it might be an interesting choice for you. I found the Marantz to be noticeably better than the 2200 and almost as good as the 2900 but here in Canada, the Marantz was, at retail, 400$ less than the 2200 and 1100$ less than the 2900, so that played a major role in my choice. Lots of good stuff out there, but nothing is perfect in the universal world yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.