AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I know this is a rather subjective question but I'll ask it anyway; What is the best mid-range AV receiver on the market?

How can "best" be quantified? I'm looking for a receiver with good sound 4K capability, some of the bells & whistles but not necessarily all and lastly, something that will still be working flawlessly 6-10 years from now.

Too much to ask?

I only have 5 speakers so no need for 7.2. I'm not a gamer or head banger so no need for mega power. I would just like crisp, clean, reliable surround sound from a few sources: 4K TV, Blu-ray player, CD/MP3 player, radio, music library on phone/tablet.

I have owned Sony, Harmon Kardon, Onkyo and I must say, I've been disappointed with Onkyo. My current receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR606. It has been returned to Onkyo twice. The HDMI died. I resorted to the optical port. Last night it died. Caused my surge suppressor to kick out. Volume now doesn't work so I've bypassed it and am currently listening to the TV :(.

I understand I've asked a very broad question and will have brand loyalists touting their favorite brand but I'm looking for the nuts & bolts of the better receivers currently on the market. Any help is welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,604 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm in kind of the same boat. What are the differences between the Pioneer VSX-830-K and the Elite VSX-45? In spec sheets, it only looks like the Elite model has a better warranty and some gold trim.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Marantz SR-7009 rocks
I think there may have been a misunderstanding. I mentioned mid-range but I guess mid range is a relative term. I also mentioned that I only have 5 speakers so would not need 7.2 and the unit you suggest it 9.2 so an overkill. I'm sure a great receiver but an overkill for me. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK, so I know this is a rather subjective question but I'll ask it anyway; What is the best mid-range AV receiver on the market?

How can "best" be quantified? I'm looking for a receiver with good sound 4K capability, some of the bells & whistles but not necessarily all and lastly, something that will still be working flawlessly 6-10 years from now.

Too much to ask?

I only have 5 speakers so no need for 7.2. I'm not a gamer or head banger so no need for mega power. I would just like crisp, clean, reliable surround sound from a few sources: 4K TV, Blu-ray player, CD/MP3 player, radio, music library on phone/tablet.

I have owned Sony, Harmon Kardon, Onkyo and I must say, I've been disappointed with Onkyo. My current receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR606. It has been returned to Onkyo twice. The HDMI died. I resorted to the optical port. Last night it died. Caused my surge suppressor to kick out. Volume now doesn't work so I've bypassed it and am currently listening to the TV :(.

I understand I've asked a very broad question and will have brand loyalists touting their favorite brand but I'm looking for the nuts & bolts of the better receivers currently on the market. Any help is welcome.

Thanks
I am in the same boat. From what I have gathered the best options in the ~$500 or less range (which is what I am calling mid range) are:

Denon AVR-X2100W
Onkyo-TX-NR636
Yamaha RX-V577
Sony STR-DN1050
Yamaha RX-V677
Pioneer VSX-824-K or 1024 or 1124

I have found any of these at around $399 at one time or another. I have not yet pulled the trigger though. Leaning towards the Denon but would appreciate thoughts of what others would choose assuming an equal price.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I am in the same boat. From what I have gathered the best options in the ~$500 or less range (which is what I am calling mid range) are:

Denon AVR-X2100W
Onkyo-TX-NR636
Yamaha RX-V577
Sony STR-DN1050
Yamaha RX-V677
Pioneer VSX-824-K or 1024 or 1124

I have found any of these at around $399 at one time or another. I have not yet pulled the trigger though. Leaning towards the Denon but would appreciate thoughts of what others would choose assuming an equal price.
I know you specified a budget of $500 or less, but the Pioneer Elite SC-71 I linked above for $549 is a considerable step up from those models. Pioneer's Class D amp section alone is worth the extra $$$.

·
The Village Idiot
9,626 Posts
Something that will last 6-10 years? Nobody knows the answer to that or we'd all be buying one.

I only have 5 speakers (and 3 subs) but have to buy a 7.1 since none of the 5.1 AVRs meet my needs.

Onkyo is currently extending warranties on many of those bad HDMI equipped AVRs. You might want to check that thread out - its in the stickies.

Yamaha seem to make the best AVR as far as reliability goes but even they have their problems.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Id have to say the 2015 Pioneer Elites, as theyre under 800.00! As well as being Full 4k compliant, plus having 5.0ghz wifi built in is nice as well!

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
if you don't care about atmos, etc. then for sure a used Marantz 8801 is a great overall deal. "High end" features for a mid-range price these days.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts