AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my search for a budget $2K system, I have read & learned a lot. I learned that there are high end superior "mini" speakers such as Sunfire CRM-2 Speakers and a few others I can't think of right now.

Though these are WAY out of my price range, just for haha's, I was just curious what other brand/models there are out there?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I guess it depends on your definition of Mini...but PMC DB-1+'s are pretty scary. Whole mess of top end studios and video post houses use them (Dolby Labs and DTS have them onboard).

I've also sold a boatload of the Klipsch Reference Cinema 10 systems. This is based around their RSX-5 speaker. That thing impresses people time after time, one of the only truely small systems that actually doesn't fall apart dynamically or have a massive gaping hole in the midbass. System runs around $1700 for a 5.1 setup w/ upgraded sub.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Please take a look at a brand called ERA... This is from a company called Signal Path...

Their small loudspeaker is very well designed and has earned loads of praise...

All the best...

mls

·
Registered
60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark L. Schifter /forum/post/0

Please take a look at a brand called ERA... This is from a company called Signal Path...

Their small loudspeaker is very well designed and has earned loads of praise...

All the best...

mls

Any idea of how to find a dealer for these? Their site doesn't provide any info to that end.

·
Registered
865 Posts

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Keep in mind, when your buying "superior" small speakers, your still paying a premium for "small" and your loosing a critical part of the sound spectrum.... the low resonating bass frequencies between 50hz and 100 hz.

that will effect dialog from people with deep resonant voices. The lower part of their voice will be coming from the subwoofer, which lemme tell you, aint ideal!

One viable solution is to find some small satellites that meld well with a more substantial center speaker. You might call this the 1-6-1 option:

1 substantial center speaker

and 4 or 6 satellite small speakers.

1 Substantial subwoofer

And with the new plasma, LCD, and DLP TVs, they are usually designed to be put on a stand, so all you need is a center speaker that fits "underneath" the TV on the stand.

And you can really optimize this configuration by getting a heavyweight center, and a nice subwoofer. The only thing you lose is this:

When the same sound that comes from your big center is played on your other 2 front speakers, the two side speakers will have a slightly different tonal quality. But in cases like this, your center will typically overpower the other speakers and you will mostly just hear "more" coming from the center.

Anyways theres other options, like the 3-4-1:

3 substantial speakers up front, 4 satellites for surround and 1 nice sub.

Or theres the 2-4-1 option:

In my bedroom I use 2 high quality speakers close to the TV up front, and forgo the center speaker. The trick to this is to put the 2 high quality speakers as close to the TV as possible, to anchor the dialog to the screen.

Then i use 4 satellite speakers to widen the soundstage provide surround ambience.

I put 2 satellites in the front corner of the bedroom, to widen the front soundstage, and 2 in the rear to provide rear effects and "backfill" the room with sound.

And then of course, 1 sub.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.