AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at using a projector as a replacement for the main living room TV. The room isn't (and really can't be) well light-controlled aside from avoiding direct sunlight. I realize that there will be a trade off in that the daytime viewing will lose some contrast over an LCD or plasma (with even the best projector).

That said, does anyone have any reccomendations for models that might do a decent job during the daytime? I am looking to spend in the 2000s and have considered the Epson 8700UB.

Or is it the reality that a room loaded with ambient light simply can't be used for a decent FP picture? Bare with me, I am a newb.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Front projection never does well with high ambient light. Look at your wall during the day, that's as dark as your image will get. Projectors cannot create black, so there will be little to no shadow detail and a significant loss of contrast. We never recommend a projector in a room where you can't control the light. The best option for a GOOD image is a flat screen.

It doesn't matter how many lumens you through at it, all you get is brighter highlights. More lumens cannot make a black hole out of a white screen wash with ambient light.

And since you are looking to replace the tv, it is safe to assume that this would be used for everyday viewing. Have you given any thought to budgeting for replacement lamps? You should, count on replacing the lamp every 1000 hours, regardless of life expectancy claims. Why? Lamps can and do fail early, regardless of hours used. And here's the big problem. Let's say you went ahead got a projector for this room with high ambient light. Let's say the image was BARELY acceptable. Well, lamps dim as they age. By the time the lamp reaches EOL, you will have lost at least 75% of the rated output. So an image that was marginal when the lamp was new would be useless and unviewable by the time 1000 hours goes by, if not sooner. And when budgeting for a new lamp, you should use the OEM lamp cost, not some "compatible" that probably isn't.

·
Registered
162 Posts
for me dont maky any sense having a projector to be the "home tv".

always need to have a lcd/plasma to see random stuff during day...well is just my opinion but for me if i only could choose projector or plasma/lcd my choice will be no doubt the second one.

not only for the crap image during day (no ligh control) but especially for the high high cost of using a projector like 5-6h day....lamp cost + power consumption will be crazy.

·
Registered
162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwhite /forum/post/20894751

Here's a similar thread from just a little while ago.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1353451

I've posted my experience and some photos of our uncontrolled ambient light livingroom setup.

I'd never consider going back to a regular TV.

Hope this helps,

Jonathan

for a uncontrolled ambient light IMO is much better a plasma/lcd.

i prefer quality to quantity so i in ambient like that i prefer have a small screen with better IQ.

i will buy a projector but will not going to be my main tv (for that have panasonic 46G20) and will be installed in a total control ambient ligh.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
p_sousa,

The OP stated that he understands the limitations of daytime projection, and was asking for opinions if it is workable, and suggestions for projectors and configurations .. which is what my post addressed.

Jonathan

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwhite /forum/post/20894974

p_sousa,

The OP stated that he understands the limitations of daytime projection, and was asking for opinions if it is workable, and suggestions for projectors and configurations .. which is what my post addressed.

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan, your post in the other thread was very helpful.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Epson 5010 was just announced. It seem to be at least as good as the 8700 + 3d + 2400 lumens. Is this likely to do significantly better in my situation because its high brightness output if I use a dark screen?

I would think the combination of a dark screen with high brightness would help without it being as much of a washout -- but maybe some one more knowledgeable can chime in. Has anyone seen this sort of setup in a room with little ambient light control?

·
Banned
960 Posts
The key thing is avoiding direct sun light. If you can also direct the lights away from the screen, that would also help. Just know what you are getting into and don't set yourself up for failure. Know that you will be sacrificing your image quality in order to get that big image size you want. In my opinion, nothing really wrong with that as long as you know what you are getting into.

Go with a nice bright projector and a grey screen. Have you considered what type of screen you will go with?

Benito

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.