AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In your opinion which movie is the best to test a stereo system. This could be either DTS or DD. I have a 5.1 system capable of doing DD, DD EX, DTS, and DTS ES. I have not hooked up a rear set of surrounds as of yet.

I think

5th element is good( the opera scene to really test the vocal range)

Saving Private Ryan DTS edition

Star Wars..

any others I am just looking for some peoples thoughs as to what their favs are.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Gladiator and the extended edition of LOTR (my favorite) have the two best sound tracks in my collection (IMO), both have DTS-ES. You are listing the 5th element superbit version, I assume.

That being said, music is the real test. SACD, DVD-A, followed by CD and some DVD concerts recorded in Linear PCM. The problem with DD and DTS is that they are compressed and that no one really knows what movie effects are supposed to really sound like as they are all made up in the studio.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Best is always subjective;I'm sure plenty will list their fav mega-hit. Here's a movie I rented 2/3 weeks ago: "Blue Crush"-- The best surfing footage I'd ever seen /a great tansfer/ Not bad a story/ The rear ss tract had me reaching for a towel constantly (kept getting splashed. Since I got my Arcam 27 a few mos. back,they all look so much better. Geo.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Toy Story II is fantastic! Great visuals and the sound unbelievable. Chapter one from the THX intro on superb.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Although there are many great discs for demo purposes, I found that the opening scene of Desperado (Superbit, of course) is a crowd favorite. This scene tells an engrossing story in and of itself with humor, action, and a bit of suspense. Further, the 1.85 transfer is top notch and fills the screen with great close ups on faces, blacks, and shadow detail. The audio has great surround effects with deep base as well as portions with only voice and no background sounds. The end of the scene has some great acoustic guitar and singing. Note that the clapping of the bad guy circles the surround field as you wait to see him. In any event, I've found of all the scenes I've shown (Fifth Element, Gladiator, etc.), this one is most enjoyed.

I'd like to know of any similar scenes.

Ben

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
well im my opinion...animation ones to bring out those beautiful colors.

ice age, monsters inc, toy story, and bugs life are all amazing!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Since it sounds like your are trying to test for best sound I would have to say without a doubt my number one pick out of my +400 DVDs is:

Ch1 and ch3 of Rules of Engagement. This is the best use and most accurate placement of 5.1 sound that I've heard!

Others would include:

Star Wars (pod race scene)

Toy Story II (openning scene, crossing the road)

Saving Private Ryan (Omaha beach, defending the bridge)

Titan A.E. (openning scene)

Lord of the Rings (fight scene in the dwarf cavern)

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
everybody has listed the ones i was going to list...my favorite is toy story 2.

brickie

·
Registered
347 Posts
Chicken Run has a great sound track (DTS-ES) - try the pie making scene where they get stuck in the oven and all the gas flames ignite around you.

Also U-571 has a great DTS soundtrack, especially the depth charge scenes.

Lord of the Rings FOTR make GREAT use of the Sub channel - e.g. when Sauron is defeated in the prologue.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
My favorites are Ch2 of Swordfish, any of the battles in Gladiator and anything in U-571.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Don't forget -- the attack chapters in Pearl Harbor. Goes on for almost 45 minutes over several chapters.

Good use of surrounds and deep bass for explosions.

·
Registered
256 Posts
there are hundreds of good tracks out there... what i like is finding jems where you dont expect them.

just saw Drumline (a show about marching bands), the sound is amazing! (as i expected)

Moulin rouge sounds great, and of course, Amadeus.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.