AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to buy a set of bass shakers and then install them in my gfs couch. Like all home audio upgrades, she throws a fit until I show her a before & after comparison... then she smiles.

So what movie scenes are best to demo a bass shaker?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
There are a lot of movies that would be good for this. The Expendables has a lot of good scenes for this. Especially toward the end during the big fight scene, and when the buildings fall. I think the whole movie would be good demo material for new bass shakers. The opening scene is even good.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
First scene that automatically pops into my head is the Pods Emerge scene from War of the Worlds. There are quite a few others though. Pulse, Master and Commander, Flight of the Phoenix, 9, Cloverfield and others. Check out this thread.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Star Wars III - Revenge of Sith

The first war scene when they try to do slide land on the planet after rescuing the Chancellor. Now, there is not as much base as the pod emerge from WOTW, but the effect of the bass shaker is very cool. As in the characters in the scene are seated in the war ship, the viewers are also seated but are experiencing the same shake during the landing. priceless.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Easy: The beginning of the final battle in Saving Private Ryan, when the tank rolls in. Awesome.

·
Registered
257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacki /forum/post/0

I'm going to buy a set of bass shakers and then install them in my gfs couch. Like all home audio upgrades, she throws a fit until I show her a before & after comparison... then she smiles.

So what movie scenes are best to demo a bass shaker?

Thanks!

Hurt Locker and Iron Man 2 are what I use for demos when I have clients over.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'll have to get War of the Worlds on BR now.. but I wanted to add the most recent Sherlock Holmes by Guy Richie has a great opening sequence with very good use of surround and some good bass.. great demo stuff.

·
Registered
627 Posts
The airplane roll-over scene in FOTP is a good one with a short pause between the transition from a positive to negative g-force. That coupled with a strong sub makes for a very realistic movie watching experience.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I've listened to just about every movie with major bass scenes - repeatedly. The three that stand out to me are as follows:

1) Flight of the Phoenix (FotP) - the whole plane crash scene starting from when the plane takes off. Then from when the co-pilot hits his head to the crash, it is nothing but 5-10 minutes of constant waves of migraine-inducing bass.

2) Cloverfield - this movie has some of the hardest-hitting, lowest bass scenes ever. And there's lots of them. Perfect for a butt-shaker.

3) Transformers 2 - the first 5 minutes of the movie has some of the best bass for demo-ing. And the last 30-40 minutes of the movie is nothing but gunfire, explosions, crashes and bass-heavy mayhem in general.

·
Registered
20,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by below90hz /forum/post/19576471

I've listened to just about every movie with major bass scenes - repeatedly. The three that stand out to me are as follows:

1) Flight of the Phoenix (FotP) - the whole plane crash scene starting from when the plane takes off. Then from when the co-pilot hits his head to the crash, it is nothing but 5-10 minutes of constant waves of migraine-inducing bass.

2) Cloverfield - this movie has some of the hardest-hitting, lowest bass scenes ever. And there's lots of them. Perfect for a butt-shaker.

3) Transformers 2 - the first 5 minutes of the movie has some of the best bass for demo-ing. And the last 30-40 minutes of the movie is nothing but gunfire, explosions, crashes and bass-heavy mayhem in general.

I agree with except my order would be this and swapping out TS2 with WOTW

1.WOTW(lightning strike and pod emerge right after one another is relentless

2. Cloverfield

3. FOTP

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
The pod emerging scene in WOTW is what I use.

·
Registered
258 Posts
*rant* I do find it hard to justify buying WOW just for that scene, when there are so many options that are actually great flicks with great sound. */endrant*

·
Registered
20,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoggniklat /forum/post/19577039

*rant* I do find it hard to justify buying WOW just for that scene, when there are so many options that are actually great flicks with great sound. */endrant*

We are talking bass here, not just the sound.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts