AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what people think I am bored.

So I will start it off

Terminator 3

Star Wars

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I have a plasma that I use for casual tv watching and occasional movies, and although it doesn't do everything well,it can't be beat in my household for bright computer animation titles. So

Monster's Inc.

The Incredibles

A Bug's Life (2-disc version)

Toy Story.

All just amazing. Most of the scenes in "Finding Nemo" are also spectacular, but the many color gradients in several of the scenes are a little too challenging for it. I get the blockiness that everyone's argued about, regardless of calibrating and fidgeting, and it doesn't show up on my CRT.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont know I havent had any poblems with color gradients or different scenes of shading or fading, I do notice them really bad when not on hd. it will be great if I can get that to be perfect.

But I will say also

EVIL DEAD

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm know one has a favorite dvd here

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah my hi-def dvd player is great, makes it look amazing.

·
23,031 Posts
thegunnerman,

Check out the Reference DVD list sticky thread at the top. Or wade through the search results because this same topic with slightly rearranged words comes up at least once every couple weeks. And since you are bored, you may want to do a little reading in the DVD player forum too to brush up on a few things. :)

larry

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
upconverting dvd player I would guess....HD programs over sat or cable will blow all the other stuff away.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh sorry guys maybe I meant something different, is a dvd-hdplayer not considered a hi-def dvd player, even though it says it on the box "hi-def" dvd player. I mean it does play movies on my plasma better then it does viewing it on hd channels

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunnerman
oh sorry guys maybe I meant something different, is a dvd-hdplayer not considered a hi-def dvd player, even though it says it on the box "hi-def" dvd player. I mean it does play movies on my plasma better then it does viewing it on hd channels
Make and model #'s, please, for player and display.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can post that on a new thread that I will start, lets just stick to the dvd's anyone

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But I have the samsung hd841- hd850 and hd950

·
Registered
9,717 Posts
Some days I feel like being cheeky. Okay most. Your DVD player is a standard DVD player that scales regular 480i DVDs to high definition resolutions so that your TV does not have to. If movies on there, especially the Samsung players, look better than HD on your TV, then you have something set very wrong on the HD side.

·
23,031 Posts
And the reason why we don't talk about DVDs is that the subject has been beaten to death and we'd rather see you get your setup fixed. :)

larry

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey nothru22,

you say there maybe something wrong if my player looks better then my hd tv, is there anything I can do to fix it, or change the settings to look nicer

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
There are soooo many variables to that question. I'd start from scratch. I'd begin with having TV set at default settings. Determine what connection type U are using for the Samsung to the plasma (if direct) or through a switcher( DVI Switcher, receiver,processors,etc) . Then I'd have the Samsung settings checked - and turning off any enhanced settings including brightness and temperature settings. The HDTV source material should also be evaluated.

I recently dropped by when a friend had problems with his "less than good picture" to his new 60" RP-LCD TV. As it turned out he tweaked the heck out of the settings without knowing what the repercussion would be. A common error is setting brightness too high and using the enhanced sharpness mode, figuring both should add to the viewing enjoyment of hi-def pictures.

There far more that should be covered but not in this thread. I hope that you can find the time to read elsewhere in this fine forum to help you with your questions.

·
Registered
9,717 Posts
How are you getting HD content? What provider? What hardware? I'd say with the best upconverting player (which is not the samsung) the picture should only be nearly as good in color and about half as good (on smaller pictures) in detail than a true high definition source.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am using comcast as my provider for hd service. and have a samsung hd841 for my dvd player on my samsung plasma

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.