Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Any of the Pixar movies - Toy Story 1/2 etc, AOTC, Fifth Element - SuperBit,

LOTR:EE, Mask of Zorro.

Actually pretty well any new movie ie within the last year or two should look pretty good now. DVD quality has steadily improved and has pretty well topped off now.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
To see what is possibly the best video reference clips yet, get Fox's Demo disc 2 from Best Buy. This will show of your projector to the max, but only in clips.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
I'll add:

Dark City

Baraka

Resident Evil

The Greatest Places (IMAX)

Super Speedway (IMAX, anamorphic re-issue)

The opening of Toy Story 2 is my ultimate "gee-whizz" pick for first-timers...

Fred

·
Registered
426 Posts
For PQ - try Thin Red Line. I'm surprised no one else chooses this one as a "reference." I use it to show off my TV. There is a scene just after they land on the beach where they trudge through the jungle full of tropical life.

The transfer is awesome and the colors are just a big over-saturated to give the colors a little extra kick.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Pearl Harbor - particularly the aerial sequences obviously - this DVD has one of the best transfers out there.

Anna and the King - a very nice film that not too many got to see in the cinema - the richly detailed opening sequence is fairly amazing.

Moulin Rouge - great fun because it starts off almost black and white, your guests are saying "this is not much good", then ... wow!!

The 'teaser' or opening sequence in Goldeneye (the bungy jump off the dam)

and maybe now the THX Wow! demo which I just downloaded, with 8 minutes of scenes from Star Wars Ep IV,V,VI and Indiana Jones 1,2,3 and Willow edited together just so as to show off your system.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone tried Crouching Tiger? It's simply stunning.

And what's Fifth Element - Superbit? Some kind of special edition?

Can't wait for LOTR: Two Towers, those 360° pans around the mountains of New Zealand look spectacular.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by anticowboyism
Anyone tried Crouching Tiger? It's simply stunning.

And what's Fifth Element - Superbit? Some kind of special edition?

Suberbit is a line Columbia/Sony is putting out that deletes the extras from the regular release and devotes the resulting extra data storage space on the disk to a DTS soundtrack and a higher bit-rate for the film. Of course, in the case of Fifth Element there were no extras to begin with and it's a great transfer, but the Superbit version still looks better on a high-end system. Crouching Tiger is a good demo and it has a Superbit edition as well that is an improvment over the regular disk- if you pick it up hold on to your old one for the bonus features.

Fred

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention U-571. Good movie, great looking disk and the sound is excellent as well! Two words- depth charges *lol*

Fred

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Surprised nobody's mentioned Black Hawk Down. A good alternative to Moulon Rouge if you're afraid your company might think you're hetero-challenged. :D

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Black Hawk Down is a great flick --- but it's grainy and color desaturated (on purpose) which does not show off the full wonder of a good projector.

- Rick

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Forget everything posted here so far. Dtheater has the best movies to show off a PJ. I just sold an old ECP 3500. It was the easiest sale of my life. The buyer had been all over demoing PJs with DVD material. He saw mine with Ice Age Dtheater and payed cash on the spot.

If you're selling PJ's, it might be worth the cost of the deck.:)

Joe

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Good choice. Moulin Rouge is two fold. Incredible color ranges, highly saturated, and the sound track is quite enveloping.

Another good demo that hasn't been mentioned yet, if you just want scenes and not a whole movie (cause it wasn't very good), would be Driven. Memo's Accident is great (way over the top) for showing detail and color. The race through Chicago is another GREAT scene for blacks and detail. Overall, the movie shows very little EE looking stuff, and the detail is quite high.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.