AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 year old Mitsubishi projection TV that only has component connections. It seems as if just about all of the discussions about the new round of DVD players discuss using a digital hookup. Any recommendations on a good player out now for component use? I like the specs of the new Denon 2910 but would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Rich

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
component connections are analog, not digital. Do you have an available component connection that allows for HD resolutions ? You can try the Zenith dvb318 (amazon.com) or the momitsu v880 for component upconversion

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Sounds like he may not care if it's an upconverting or not.

If you're not concerned about SACD or DVD-A, then you can just worry about picture quality, build quality, and usability.

Picture quality is comprised of core video qualities as well as progressive deinterlacing capabilities. Hometheaterhifi.com will help with that, as Jim McC mentioned. Some older Panasonics or Denons (but not Denon 910 whose picture is blurry) will be good, and cost a few hundred dollars.

For usability, look for fast response times and layer changes.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have a component connection that allows for HD. I thought the firmware in the Zenith players now don't allow upsampling. I'd hate to get it and have a newer version of the firmware that doesn't.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
people who've ordered from amazon are still saying their receiving the 318 with a f/w update of Dec 03, which allows upconversion over component. Just read some posts from yesterday about this. If you are interested, I wouldn't wait any longer.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Consider the Denon 2900, which is a better built machine than the 2910 and roughly the same price. It does not upconvert, but owners SWEAR by the amazing 480p picture it does through component video.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.