AVS Forum banner
  • If you've ever wanted to ask questions on industry standards when setting up your home theater, you're in luck! Peter Aylett, 30 year integrator and partner at HTE Acoustic Interior Design will be answering questions until Sun. Nov. 28th! The thread is now open, and you can join in here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to pull the trigger on the newest integrated amplifier from Marantz, PM7005.
It has everything I'm looking for such as the digital audio inputs (optical, coaxial and USB) and phono. The build in DAC can also play back DSD which is a big bonus. However, it doesn't have HT pass through so I won't be able to integraded to a receiver or HT processor in the future which is not really a big deal for me.

My local dealers doesn't have the PM7005 on floor for demo so if you own or have heard this integraded ampliifer, please share your thoughts.

My budget is $1,000. If you know any other new integrated amplifier that sounds better, I'm all ears.

I appreciate all your opinions.
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I am about to pull the trigger on the newest integrated amplifier from Marantz, PM7005.
It has everything I'm looking for such as the digital audio inputs (optical, coaxial and USB) and phono. The build in DAC can also play back DSD which is a big bonus. However, it doesn't have HT pass through so I won't be able to integraded to a receiver or HT processor in the future which is not really a big deal for me.

My local dealers doesn't have the PM7005 on floor for demo so if you own or have heard this integraded ampliifer, please share your thoughts.

My budget is $1,000. If you know any other new integrated amplifier that sounds better, I'm all ears.

I appreciate all your opinions.
Thank you.
Can you go to the PM-8005? For the small-ish price difference, a bit more power is nice, but the pre out and power amp in can be a definite bonus.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes PM8005 has a bit more power but no digital inputs.
I like to keep everything simple in this system.
The system will be used in a 11.4 feet by 15.9 feet room and I think 60W per channel on PM7005 should be plenty.
Thank you for the suggestion.

I am more interested to hear other brands such as Cambridge Audio and NAD.
How do they compare to Marantz?

·
Registered
6,973 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
For $1050 you should be able to get a factory refurbished NAD C375BEE with 1 year mfgr. warranty. The way digital is evolving I'd rather have an external DAC, or an amp that can take a DAC module or card.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I would suggest go used and pick up something like a Wyred 4 Sound STI 500. Plenty of power and ht bypass. Its unfortunately over your budget.

Another good unit is the Anthem 225, but it has no ht bypass. These two would be top picks close to your range if buying used. I found many integrated amps under $1200 to have limitations that don't cut it for me including anemic power and at times a generic homogenized sound.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think you're on the right track. My immediate thoughts were Marantz and NAD -- you'll get good overall quality/reputation and meet budget. But be level-headed about all this, and remember that these amps will measure almost exactly the same, and if you keep them within their power limits they should perform essentially the same. So also consider ergonomics and look and feel (which are much more subjective than performance), because you have to use and live with the thing, not just listen to it.

The obvious limitation on your budget will be power output, and keep in mind that real-world power requirements are a combination of your room size, your preferred listening habits, and the sensitivity and impedance of your speakers. That said, assuming you're not trying to rock out in an aircraft hanger, I suspect that the PM7005's 60 watts into 8 ohms will likely play a lot louder than you might realize, and it would probably suit your needs just fine. And I love that it has a DAC that supports DSD.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.