AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m thinking about getting an AE100 but I want to make sure I match it with a screen that will give me the best results. What screens are the AE100 owners using and getting good results? Matte White? I can control the lighting in my room fairly well. I’m new to the projectors so I don’t know what information everyone needs to answer this question. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I went from an off-white wall which is much darker than a sheet of typing paper to a Da-lite Video Spectra.

Pros: Increased brightness breathes life into the picture. Perceived blacks

better than anticipated. The Screen makes detail more noticible(better depth).

Reasonable price.

Cons: The Screen may start out looking like the ocean on a windy day. Detail more noticible(screendoor).

The Wall came with the apartment.

Unz

·
Registered
581 Posts
I also went with the Da-lite Model B screen with the Video spectra coating and am very happy with it. I guess I am lucky, my screen does not have any waves in it. Nice screen for about $200. Make sure and order the black case, white is standard. You may also need extra black masking at the top of the screen. Good luck!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I went with the DaLite Model B 52"x92" screen with a white casing, it was more pleasing to the eye and improved the WAF. I have let it down for a week now and the waves in the screen still aren't gone. The person at DaLite said a couple of days would take care of it, but it hasn't happened for me. I got the White Matte version, and the quality of the picture, minus the waves is awesome. The screen is only pulled down when I use the projector, so I couldn't go the DIY route.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I also used mine with a Da-lite Model B and a Video Spectra screen ... argh!!! couldn't take the waves ... so I cut the screen out and mounted it on a wooden frame with Velcro and cover the frame with black velvet. Excellent picture! Very sharp details, bright colors, good blacks (for an LCD) and the whole screen stays equally bright even if you move about the room. (The projector is ceiling mounted.)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Whats the difference between a Da-lite Model B and a Da-lite Model C?

Quote:
Originally posted by monomer
I also used mine with a Da-lite Model B and a Video Spectra screen ... argh!!! couldn't take the waves ... so I cut the screen out and mounted it on a wooden frame with Velcro and cover the frame with black velvet. Excellent picture! Very sharp details, bright colors, good blacks (for an LCD) and the whole screen stays equally bright even if you move about the room. (The projector is ceiling mounted.)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I just started a thread about which screen to use with my ceiling mounted LT150, as my kids ruined my model B high power. The high power is retro reflective, and supposedly not as good with ceiling mounted projectors.

Has anybody out there compared the video spectra with the high power on a ceiling mounted projector? If so, what were the results? Before the mishap with the kids and my screen I was very pleased with the uniformity of the image, lack of hotspots, and lack of visible waves.

I'm wondering if keeping the video spectra screen down all the time helps with the wrinkles?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I pair my AE100 with Plas-tex screen and the result is much better than i expected. No wavy lines ala pull down screen. It is free hanging from the ceiling, so I can readily removed it for WAF. It is no firehawk and contrast could be better. But for 13.95 you can't beat it.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
For those with waves in their video spectra screen -- Do you keep it down or rolled up when not watching movies? I'm curious if keeping it down helps the waves hang out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I went from a Behr antique white wall to Parkland then to Da-Lite Cosmopolitan Electrol with Video Spectra 1.5. I mounted the Parkland to my wall with double back carpet tape every 12 inches but was unable to get the waves out. So far, the Da-Lite is noisy but otherwise perfect. No waves in the picture area. A slight wave in the extra drop I ordered.

The painted wall is very close to the Parkland so I recommend the wall first. If you want something better, request samples from screen manufacturers to audition in your lighting condition.

A roll-up or motorized screen allow you to mount it in front of your TV so the sound system, furnishings, and seating arrangement can remain the same for daytime viewing with the TV and evening viewing with the projector.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm using a DaLite Model C, 119" diag. I don't have any waves in it. It is kept retracted except for viewing time. I have the matte white fabric. Quite happy with it.

cspil,

From what I gather, the difference between a model B and C is a combination of better bearings, larger case (more heavy duty) and a heavier backing on the screen material. I'm glad I spent the extra on the model C.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
bobbyt,

Cool pictures. Neat that your super-imposed the pics. That fooled me for a second and I had to read further. :cool:

BTW, your home theater is pretty un-obtusive. I bet it has super high WAF factor.

·
Registered
102 Posts
cpc,

thanks for the comments. WAF is usually the first thing on my mind, well, maybe second... I figure if she'll let me indulge, I better try to make things look somewhat decent. Besides, she makes more money than me ;)

she was really skeptical about me making a screen out of the Parkland Plastics stuff, but I did a good enough job at it that she was impressed! whew! i made it so that it hangs on 2 picture hooks, so I can remove it easily if need be.

good thing she enjoys my hobby almost as much as i do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.